Tokina lenses?

They usually do as well as Tamron, Sigma, and many camera brand name lenses in the tests I've seen. I think that they are considered sort of economical (as most of the off brand lenses are).

This is the lens I found on B&H's website...

Tokina Zoom Telephoto AF 80-200mm f/2.8 AT-X 828AF Pro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
USA
Mfr # ATX828AFPROC • B&H # TO8020028PCA

Tokina Zoom Telephoto AF 80-200mm f/2.8 AT-X 828AF Pro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

List Price:
$ 1,550.00
Our Price:
$ 649.00
Mfr. Mail-In Rebate:
$ 60.00
Price After Rebate:
$ 589.00
Shipping Cost:

It's out of stock at the moment, but if/when it comes in, it looks like it might be a decent lens for the money...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=101948&is=USA is the link to the b&h page...

It gives no mention of aspherical or fluoride elements usually found in these lenses. :shock: :? I'm suspicious. I've also never heard any good reviews of it...

Checking www.photodo.com tells that it's not a great lens. Sure, it looks as scary as the L glass, and probably weighs similarly, but it's no a good lens. With a rating of only 3.4 which makes it an OK lens for the price, BUT you'll be much better off with a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX APO which is rated 3.9, really close to 70-200 f/2.8 L which is 4.1

Go with sigma. You can either get a new one for 800 or used for 600.

had two Tokinas in the $400 range... solid build, good optics, on DSLR can not tell difference on monitor between Tokina and Nikons, large prints from film Tokina not as good as higher quality lens, but you really need to look to see the differences....imho.

DocFrankenstein said:
It gives no mention of aspherical or fluoride elements usually found in these lenses. :shock: :? I'm suspicious. I've also never heard any good reviews of it...

Checking www.photodo.com tells that it's not a great lens. Sure, it looks as scary as the L glass, and probably weighs similarly, but it's no a good lens. With a rating of only 3.4 which makes it an OK lens for the price, BUT you'll be much better off with a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX APO which is rated 3.9, really close to 70-200 f/2.8 L which is 4.1

Go with sigma. You can either get a new one for 800 or used for 600.

I ended up with a used Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for $525. I'm super-pleased with it so far!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back