Too bad about the camera shake

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some of you know, I shoot manual lenses & sometimes this leads to less than ideal shots. I was in a very awkward position to try this shot & could not steady myself/camera well enough. This is the best of three attempts. :(

P1040653sm.jpg

Minolta Celtic 50/3.5 macro.

wow shake or not still a good shot

Spider body seems ok, perhaps is matter of DoF (me too shooting manual, with lenses typically faster than zooms, and more prone to out of focus due to shallow DoF).

Shallow DOF aside, if it were not for the shake the hairs on the spider would be sharp. Compounding the problem was a slow shutter (1/25s) due to poor light.

Thanks for your comments folks.

Shallow DOF aside, if it were not for the shake the hairs on the spider would be sharp.

At f/3.5, your DOF is razor thin... literally a few mm's. Just simply taking a breath will knock you way out of focus.
Look at the hairs on the spider's abdomen & on the fly's back and head, they're fairly sharp.
Considering awkard positioning while handheld and f/3.5 with a 50mm macro at 1/25th, you really couldn't have had the planets more aligned against you.... I think you did pretty damn good.

At f/3.5, your DOF is razor thin... literally a few mm's. Just simply taking a breath will knock you way out of focus.
Look at the hairs on the spider's abdomen & on the fly's back and head, they're fairly sharp.
Considering awkard positioning while handheld and f/3.5 with a 50mm macro at 1/25th, you really couldn't have had the planets more aligned against you.... I think you did pretty damn good.

Thanks for your complimentary comment but I shot @ f4 to gain a little DOF but could not stop down any further with the light. In retrospect I could have bumped up the ISO as I was shooting @ 200.

Bloody hell at that focal length I'd say you've got some steady hands! If it were me there would be about 5 spiders and 3 flys in that shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back