Too dark?? C&C, if you like

UtahsRebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm working on a project that will include having my horse's head or ears in all the pictures, (I know it won't appeal to all of you but try to look past that). I like this picture but something is not quite right. Is it just because it is too dark?

2868441994_5812b25932.jpg

What's that in the top right hand corner?

Sw1tchFx, I think you are right. It's that really dark spot on the top right.

Ok, I just went back and looked at the original and I can't tell if it is just dark there because of how dense the trees get in that area or if there was something there I wasn't aware of.

With a dominant white scene, your camera meter defaults to expose this shot to a medium gray. That is why the snow looks more gray than white. There are different tricks to exposing snow properly. The method I use is to Spot Meter on the snow and overexpose 2 to 2.5 stops. This might help the scene obtain a bit more contrast. Otherwise, nice composition.

Ok, I cropped out part of the black up in the corner and lightened it a bit. How about now?
2867917793_105596fc2a.jpg

Personally, I liked it better before the crop. The dark corner added some contrast to all the white for me. If you bump up the detail in the darkness using photoshop's shadow/highlight tool (if you've got photoshop cs2 or higher that is) it helps a lot.. I just tried it.

Personally, I liked it better before the crop. The dark corner added some contrast to all the white for me. If you bump up the detail in the darkness using photoshop's shadow/highlight tool (if you've got photoshop cs2 or higher that is) it helps a lot.. I just tried it.

i like this edit. i agree, don't crop the corner. just lighten it.

You definitely need the corner on there. It gives the picture some depth. Very interesting shot

I like the concept, and the shot.

It would be hard to do, but getting lower and getting more of the trees in there from the ground up might open things up a bit...it's just trying to keep the horse in there too, ya know

Most reactions

New Topics

Back