What's new

Too much to ask?

S2K1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 5, 2007
Messages
288
Reaction score
0
Location
Utah
I'm looking to get my friend a lens for Christmas. He has a 300D with the 18-55 kit lens. He does some photography on the side, but after getting laid off and taking a job with much less pay, he doesn't have the income to add/replace lenses. He also has a Tamron 75-300. I'd like to get him something for Christmas. He has wireless triggers, a couple flashes, and an AlienBee B400 so no need for flash equipment. I want to get him a lens that is better than his current selection, but I'm not made of money, would like to keep it under $200 and used is fine. He has the 50mm f/1.8 so don't suggest that. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
That is very kind of you.

I'm not sure about where you are located, but i've found craigslist an amazing place for used lenses.
 
under $200 for a lens that is not the 50mm? And that is better than the kit lens?
Sorry, but nothing at all comes to mind.

You are looking at either replacing his kit with a better lens, preferably from Canon but if not from Sigma or Tamron and you are looking at $500 or so.

He has a kit telephoto, so you are looking at getting a wide angle, which again, would be a min $500 for a 3rd party lens.

Then there is replacing that 50mm which would mean a 1.4 instead of 1.8. Again, more than your budget.

While I totally admire your offer, maybe getting him a gift certificate to a camera store or look at some other accessorie you can get him such as a tripod, some filters, a bag,...
 
A Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a nice upgrade to the kit lens, for about $450 new, or a Sigma 18-50 for $420, you could keep an eye on craigslist for either, you could find a deal.

Another option is to find another friend or family member to go in for half of a lens.
 
buying a lens for someone is rather like getting them shoes - you might be able to guess what size and model but honestly you won't be getting the right one for them without their feet there to test them. I would say as the others have, that not only is your current budget too small for what you intend, but that it would be best gifted as a coupone for a store or cash sum. Or better yet take them out for the day to the camera store and let them choose in person - that way your not ust gifting them money and your not nessessarily forcing them to shop at one place over another *you could even order onilne with them for a better deal).
 
under 200 better then a kit - that is a toughy...
google B&H and Adorama, call their used dept and tell them what you need and want and they'll say what they have in your price range
hope it helps.
 
Johnboy, that's not a bad idea. I figured I was asking too much, but it was worth a shot. I'll look at the Lens Baby and see what else he might need. Thanks everyone.

RyanLilly, I had his family go in on a gift last year and his dad just took a new job that pays less, so the timing isn't great, but I'll see if I can do that.
 
Adorama actually has quite a large selection of used lenses. I think I'll try and swing the Canon 17-85 IS USM for $284.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom