Took stills on film set which now wish to be purchased, price?

SNphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am hoping to get some expertise from some experienced professional photographers.
I took some photos for fun while on set with a friend who was filming a very small, low budget music video. A screening is being held for the music video, in which the party planner wishes to buy a disk of copies of my photos to make prints, posters and invites for the screening.
I am still just starting out with my business and have done about 10 paid shoots ranging from families, couples and models/actors. I usually charge around $100-150 a session.
Since I was doing all of the work for free on this film set to build my portfolio I don't feel the need to overcharge... but then again, all of my work is going to be used for the party and also for the CD covers so I don't want to be taken advantage of due to me under pricing my work.
Need some advice for this please!

Before you do anything else, register the copyrights for all the images with the US Copyright Office.
Registering Your Copyrights Using the eCO System | NatureScapes.Net ? The Resource for Nature Photographers
Help! I?ve Been Infringed! | Photo Attorney
What?s An Infringement Worth? | Photo Attorney

The pricing and use licensing model for commercial use of images is very different from the retail pricing and use licensing (print release) model for personal use of images.

Commercial use of prints, posters, invitations for the screening, and a CD cover are all print media uses but would be use licensed and billed for individually.
How many of each will be made, the geographical extent of the use, exclusive or non-exclusive use of your images, and other considerations has a bearing on how much you charge.
As an example a use license for the CD cover would state how many can be made, say 50,000, but if at a later date they need or want to make more, they would have to buy another use license from you for the addition print run.

If you visit American Society of Media Photographers and on the left click on Business Resources, you will find some tutorials that will help you.
ASMP also has a use license generator you can use, and they recommend using assignment and stock image pricing software like fotoQuote - Stock and Assignment Photography Price Guide.

Last edited:
I work in the film and television industry, and most of my photographic work has been within that spectrum of experience. KmH points to some very good resources and you need to review them.

In this case, I would have the party planner deal with the producer of the music video for use of any images used at the event. This way, the producer can deal with clearances for anyone in the photos, or take responsibility for the lack or clearances... however it turns out. Additionally, in this case, I would specifically deny use of the any photos for the cd cover, and request to schedule a photoshoot for that express purpose, where all of the clearances and copyrights are settled prior to the shoot. It's very easy in the film industry to spend so much time on permissions that you lose money on every shoot. My experience has been that photos used for promotional and marketing purposes are some of the most valuable images you can offer a client, and as such, they should be planned and budgeted properly... not only because the product has an inherent value, but because the future expectations of producers weighs exactly with "what we did last time".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back