Total newbie question I suppose

babaloo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to rig up a camera I own to accept standard filters. The camera has no current method to attach lenses or filters, but has a roughly 38mm dia area that I could "grab" on to and attach and adapter that would in turn accept filters.

I've seen "filter adapter rings" available, but they all go from one thread size to another. Is there something else I should be looking for? I could, for example, bond an adapter onto my lens if it had the proper sized smooth interior instead of a thread. I'm sorry, this is a tough question to put in to writing without knowing the "lingo".

It would help tremendously if we knew precisely what lens you're dealing with.

It would help tremendously if we knew precisely what lens you're dealing with.

Simply this. ^^^^

Without more detailed info it's hard to give reasonable suggestions.

Sorry..for the late reply. I was expecting an auto-email response when someone had responded. Also sorry that this wasn't clear. What I have is actually a camera that wasn't designed for a filter at all and I want to rig it. It is an insta360 one r 1 inch mod.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Is there a lens cap for it? Most caps have the thread diameter on the inside. If it's there, that will tell you the thread size.

I think he's saying there isn't a filter thread.

I would like to rig up a camera I own to accept standard filters. The camera has no current method to attach lenses or filters, but has a roughly 38mm dia area that I could "grab" on to and attach and adapter that would in turn accept filters.

I've seen "filter adapter rings" available, but they all go from one thread size to another. Is there something else I should be looking for? I could, for example, bond an adapter onto my lens if it had the proper sized smooth interior instead of a thread. I'm sorry, this is a tough question to put in to writing without knowing the "lingo".
I think there is something like a rubber sleeve with filter threads that will fit with pressure on the front of your lens. I don't recommend bonding anything to your lens.

Here's one that is not cheap:

Slip On Filter Adapter - The Photographers Machinist

Something like this?

Moment Rectangular Rubber Collar for Anamorphic Lens (Black)

Or one that you can trim to fit:

Filter Adapter Ring Standard Universal Rubber Lens Hood for Camera Lens 1 Set of 8 | Wish

Or call B&H to talk with an expert salesperson.

Thanks. There is no lense cap.
I'll try those links.

IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg
I do feel a bit silly though because the lens shown is actually a clear lens "protector".
Looking at the images (attached) I don't see any markings indicating the thread size unless the Leica numbers mean something to anyone.
You'll see that the lens is "domed".

What I'm trying to do is to adapt this camera to macro photography. I've seen this done with a macro filter here:
skip to about 1:18 into the video. This guy just tapes on a filter with electrical tape.

I'd like to accomplish the same, but with something a little better than electrical tape.

Thoughts?

That explanatory text should have gone before the images for that all to make sense. Sorry.

If it's a super-wide or fisheye lens, you'll get vignetting if you put a filter in front of it.

If it's a super-wide or fisheye lens, you'll get vignetting if you put a filter in front of it.
This lens is wide angle, but not a fish eye. The images taken from the linked YouTube video seem to indicate good results can be had but I'll have to prove that to myself. I just didn't want to use electrical tape. I'm still wondering how to solve this puzzle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back