Tower to the Stars

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first attempt at doing star trails, taken last night. I'd really appreciate any and all feedback :hail:

Background on the image, and issues I ran into below. Hope you enjoy it!

Tower to the Stars by TogaLive, on Flickr

Background: So a friend and I went out to shoot, driving about 20 miles west of town, near where I did my last night-sky image. We found a neat location, and started shooting. I set up this shot to run for 1 hour, composited between 240 images (15" ISO800 f/4), which should have yielded some great, smooth, star trails. Setting the intervalometer to work, I felt like something was off, but couldn't place it so I just let it run. At the end of the night, I realized my mistake in that since I had mirror lockup on, the intervalometer was wasting half of its shots to activate the mirror, and then the image wasn't taken until the next 15 second cycle. So I ended up with shots being taken 50% less often then they should have been, and thusly, rougher trails. The tower was lit entirely by passing cars. I did light-paint on a few exposures at the end, but really preferred the warm light of the car headlights.

Lastly, I do have one question. Considering that, including mirror-up time, my sensor spent ~30 minutes uncovered (still had lens on) last night, do you guys think I have anything to worry about as far as dust-bunnies go?

Updated: Oh, and I should mention this. I initially was shooting the image with what I thought to be Polaris (North Star) at the tip of the tower. Only halfway through the shot did I realize that in fact I was not looking at the big dipper, where Polaris resides, but it's little brother! I decided to just let it go, seeing that the rotation would bring the lines across the tower, rather than around it, and I thought that might contrast nicely with it's vertical lines.

Last edited:
Nicely done! Having the static tower in the foreground adds a whole new dimension to the shot. I find most star trail shots boring, but this is sweet!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back