Tracks in Snow

Fred von den Berg

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out to try my hand at ETTR having seen it mentioned somewhere on TPF recently. This was taken with my Canon 10D and 28-80mm lens.

tracks in snow.jpg

Shot in raw with adjustments and conversion in iPhoto.

Nice ! It has a good feel of quite harsh climatic conditions.

Nice ! It has a good feel of quite harsh climatic conditions.

Thanks, Timor. This was"recovered" from the shot that I exposed furthest to the right, the shot as metered was as flat as a pancake. Although I would normally have added a little exposure anyway in snow, going so deliberately over exposed would not have occurred to me. Actually, I think it could have been nudged a little further to the right but it was a good start to trying out ETTR and I'm very happy with the result.

A nice, somber landscape. It looks miserable there in that snow.

Nice lines and indeed somber but I find it still a bit too mid-tone flat. I dinked with it a bit to brighten the snow and deepen the tire tracks so that the road and tracks really drive the eye. I just found that the snow was too drab (gray) to allow it to frame the roadway and thus push the eye all the way through the frame.
I am only glad that while I froze my tushie off for two weeks in single digit temps, I only saw one tiny flurry of snow and a tad of ice, unlike this scene which shivers me timbers.

I have the edit but as per your Do Not Edit instructions, I will not post without permission.

Nice shot. :encouragement:

The road to snow-where.

A nice, somber landscape. It looks miserable there in that snow.

Thanks, Derrel. Miserable? Yes and no on that, Toby (our beagle puppy) loves the snow and watching him rushing around here and there in it lifts the spirits, and, hereabouts there's a saying that goes something like there's no bad weather, only wrong clothes!

Nice lines and indeed somber but I find it still a bit too mid-tone flat. I dinked with it a bit to brighten the snow and deepen the tire tracks so that the road and tracks really drive the eye. I just found that the snow was too drab (gray) to allow it to frame the roadway and thus push the eye all the way through the frame.
I am only glad that while I froze my tushie off for two weeks in single digit temps, I only saw one tiny flurry of snow and a tad of ice, unlike this scene which shivers me timbers.

I have the edit but as per your Do Not Edit instructions, I will not post without permission.

Thanks, BD. Yes, please do post your edit. Thanks for taking the time!

Nice shot. :encouragement:

The road to snow-where.

Thanks, PJ :)

Edit: Very Subtle differences, but most noticeable in the foreground snow and to some degree in the clouds.

View attachment 152773

That makes quite a difference. What did you use/do? At the moment I'm using iPhoto to edit and found it tricky not to blow the clouds with any more adjustment to the exposure level.

I just use Photoshop. Never much cared for Lightroom. For my mid-tone adjustments, I make simple luminosity masks using a method shown to me by Tony Kuyper and Sean Bagshaw. I believe the standard masks are still free on Kuyper's page.

Tony Kuyper Photography-Panels & Videos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back