Trading down. Why do it?

Offhand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why do people ask to trade up for camera equipment? At first I thought it was a fluke, but I've been seeing a lot of ads like this on Craigslist and even here sometimes. One example is a guy asking to trade his 70-200mm f/4 plus cash for a 70-200mm f/4 IS. Why would the guy with the better lens make that trade? Or to trade an older 1D Mk II for a newer 1D MkIII? Is it because people need cash and figure they can make due with a lower end lens or camera? Or just wishful thinking?

Beats me-I certainly wouldn't trade my 70-200 f2.8 for anything, unless somebody was trying to get rid of the IS version :)
My guess is mostly wishful thinking-it's very easy to post a want ad on Craigslist, and no telling how successful these folks are. On the other hand, if I was tight for cash and needed a flash, but could make due with a 70-200 f4, maybe it would make sense.

If it's an even trade, the guy with the better gear is probably just a moron.

If it's trade plus cash, they probably just need the cash and would rather have something 'almost as good' than nothing at all.

Money is getting tight for a lot of people. It's certainly a better deal than taking your gear to the pawn shop - where you will get bent over and raped.

That's what I figured. But it's usually the guy with the lesser equipment that posts. I don't recall seeing anybody placing an ad who wanted to trade down. Usually they just sell outright.

Well a cragslist ad costs nothing so chances are many of the ads are people changing to luck that someone somewhere wants to trade down.

people buy all this fancy **** and assume its going to be easy, and then realize they are in over their heads.

"oh no...it has too many buttons...." ;)

I am sure they all are expecting to add cash to the trade

Most reactions

Back