Traditional or Digital??

mrsid99 said:
Forgive me if I'm off base here but it seems as though you've already made up your mind and are just looking to justify the decision.
The 350D is a great camera....buy it and be happy!

After a test in a Store, unfortunately, I think it is too small, does not fit well in my hands, and no compatibility for my nikon lenses... even with an adapter I couldn't get the meter connection...

I 'll wait for the next 8 MP SLR Nikon, hope in a few monthes :)

elrafo said:
After a test in a Store, unfortunately, I think it is too small, does not fit well in my hands, and no compatibility for my nikon lenses... even with an adapter I couldn't get the meter connection...

Whatever floats your boat but don't forget to check it against a drumscan! :wink:

If you like the digicam you are asking about, fine, buy it.

However, I used to own a rollei 35B, a similar model to the one you use in your photo on the left, and all I can say is that if that is an "life sized" example of the kind of print you are getting from your 35T then there is something wrong, somewhere. The shot is out of focus, I think, and so lacking in contrast that it is not a fair comparison with the shot on the right.

In the mid 1970s I took my 35B to a friends wedding, on a sunny day, and used it to take colour candids while the pro photographer took the standard shot. My photos proved more popular than the pro's did, I sold more copies, and even in colour they showed clearer, crisper and more contrasty print quality than your example. The couple even bought and framed a 24x18 of their favourite shot of mine.

However, since you are making a weighty and expensive decision, isn't it a good idea to try to borrow or hire the camera you want to buy, for a day or 2. Try it out and see how it suits you?

Kodan_Txips said:
In the mid 1970s I took my 35B to a friends wedding, on a sunny day, and used it to take colour candids while the pro photographer took the standard shot. My photos proved more popular than the pro's did, I sold more copies, and even in colour they showed clearer, crisper and more contrasty print quality than your example.

You seem suprised by this :lol:

I think some of you guys didn't understand that my film IS in focus but this is a small part of a picture...
maybe my scanner Dimage III was not good enough to show my Tessar sharpness...

fenetre.jpg

Best!

Raph.

elrafo said:

I just have to ask...What's wrong with the 6 MP SLR Nikons that are out now that would make you need to wait for an 8 MP? I'm not trying to be abrasive, I would just like to know.

Excuse me but I'm getting confused here. DiMAGE scanners are made by Minolta and to the best of my knowledge they don't make drum scanners. And the only DiMage scanner with a III in it was for 35mm only.
So let me see if I got this straight. You scanned in a MF neg on a 35mm scanner and it gave you the output of a drum scanner which you want to compare with the output from a DSLR?
Um....

With you now.
The quality of a scanned neg depends upon a number of factors.
Film speed and developer can affect the apparent sharpness of an image and the level of detail resolved on the negative.
The scanner used also plays a part. The one you are using is obsolete. The newer ones are much better in terms of resolution and bit depth.
To be honest I'm finding my 8meg DSLR to be every bit as good as my old 35mm. But digital and neg both have their own strengths and weaknesses and you choose whichever one you think most appropriate for a situation.

PS Prince of Persia? Cool.

I think you are right, the thing is, I didn't have good advice when I bought this scanner... I sold it for half price,
Now I'll buy a 5400 II elite, and I hope I won't have any deceptions :p

I'll buy the Nikon D50 as soon as it will be released, the 6MP is not enough for 20 x30 sharp prints from what i have seen so far,

best,

raf.

PS: thanks for Prince of Persia ;)

i've seen plenty of sharp 20x30 photos from a 6.1MP camera. They look perfectly sharp from my *istD, which is notoriously a soft camra. It just takes a little bit of ps help to get that little extra bit of sharpness.

Most reactions

Back