R100 which means the M series is history

RacePhoto

Pete
Reaction score
Website
peteklinger.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canon rounded out its R-series lineup this week with the announcement of the R100 Mirrorless Camera and new RF 28mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens. The R100 is Canon’s smallest and lightest mirrorless camera yet and is the brand’s most entry-level mirrorless camera. The R100 boasts the same 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 imaging engine as the EOS M50 Mark II.

This sensor is suitable for capturing high-quality images and video at 4K (cropped) at up to 24 fps or Full HD at up to 60 fps. The camera is also equipped with Movie Digital IS, which reduces camera shake while recording video.

Edit from B&H announcement, my bold.

There were rumors about maybe a last EOS-M, I think this signals the end.

The only BUT is the native RF-S lenses.
The M series has a better assortment of lenses than the RF-S line. Which the RF-S is unfortunately worse than the dSLR EF-S line.
Canon lists SIX EF-M lenses: 15-45, 18-150, 55-200, 22, 28 macro, 32/1.4
Canon lists THREE RF-S lenses; 18-45, 18-150, 55-210
Canon has SIX EF-S lenses: 18-55, 18-135, 55-250, 24, 10-18, 10-22 USM

If the three RF-S meet your needs, you are set. If not . . .
You either adapt an EF/EF-S lens, or use a RF lens.
And with Canon's position on RF lenses with 3rd party lens makers, on a "case by case basis," I don't have much hope there.

The only BUT is the native RF-S lenses.
The M series has a better assortment of lenses than the RF-S line. Which the RF-S is unfortunately worse than the dSLR EF-S line.
Canon lists SIX EF-M lenses: 15-45, 18-150, 55-200, 22, 28 macro, 32/1.4
Canon lists THREE RF-S lenses; 18-45, 18-150, 55-210
Canon has SIX EF-S lenses: 18-55, 18-135, 55-250, 24, 10-18, 10-22 USM

If the three RF-S meet your needs, you are set. If not . . .
You either adapt an EF/EF-S lens, or use a RF lens.
And with Canon's position on RF lenses with 3rd party lens makers, on a "case by case basis," I don't have much hope there.

I never considered the lineup of EF-S lenses. It's much smaller than I imagined. The only one I ever bought, and that was used was the 35mm Macro, which I don't see on your list? I needed it for a project where the 100mm was too much and I thought the built in light was interesting. So much that I bought the M version a 28mm Macro with the little light.

I do have some EF-S lenses that came free on used camera bodies. I see 14 listed, but that could be older and newer versions of the same models? Lenses for Canon EF-S mount in 2023 - All lenses available!

Or did you mean current lenses that are EF-S in which case, yeah to that, they stopped making the Macro. already.

Still good point on the RF-S lens being short on choices. But good news, the Canon RF-S lens mount is actually the same as the full-frame Canon RF lens mount but the RF-S lenses produce a smaller image circle than RF lenses. So either lens designation will work on either camera. That is if someone wanted a partial image on a full frame because of the smaller image circle.

M lenses only fit on M? I have three now, I have all I need, the 22, the 28 macro and the 55-200.

Meanwhile, the RS, in my view, means no more M anything. End of the model?

I never considered the lineup of EF-S lenses. It's much smaller than I imagined. The only one I ever bought, and that was used was the 35mm Macro, which I don't see on your list? I needed it for a project where the 100mm was too much and I thought the built in light was interesting. So much that I bought the M version a 28mm Macro with the little light.

I do have some EF-S lenses that came free on used camera bodies. I see 14 listed, but that could be older and newer versions of the same models? Lenses for Canon EF-S mount in 2023 - All lenses available!

Or did you mean current lenses that are EF-S in which case, yeah to that, they stopped making the Macro. already.

Still good point on the RF-S lens being short on choices. But good news, the Canon RF-S lens mount is actually the same as the full-frame Canon RF lens mount but the RF-S lenses produce a smaller image circle than RF lenses. So either lens designation will work on either camera. That is if someone wanted a partial image on a full frame because of the smaller image circle.

M lenses only fit on M? I have three now, I have all I need, the 22, the 28 macro and the 55-200.

Meanwhile, the RS, in my view, means no more M anything. End of the model?

Unfortunately, I agree. I think the M series will be discontinued soon.

Unfortunately, I agree. I think the M series will be discontinued soon.
Just looked, the 18-150 and the 55-200 are starting to show as out of stock. EOS-M50 mk II just went on eBay, with the 15-45mm lens, for $100 but $200 and up is more the usual. Lens only I see $65 including shipping costs.

I have the original M and it's fun and useful. Mostly to grab or for around the house, but still?

I'll let this simmer and watch for the 15-45 lens and I'm probably set for a long time. With the 22mm I really can fit it into a pocket. Which is why I got one to start with. APS-C pocket camera.

Apparently for the M series diving housing is a lot cheaper than DSLR - no idea how the R series compares. I would guess even if it does stop being made it will be used for a few more years.

Apparently for the M series diving housing is a lot cheaper than DSLR - no idea how the R series compares. I would guess even if it does stop being made it will be used for a few more years.
Funny thing happened, I dislike the R to the point that I sold it after one event. The flickering viewfinder drove me nuts. Not that the M is any better. But I'm back to the ##-D and looking for a 1Dx. Last chance.

During the time after the R I picked up a second M. I own the original and it's nice. The main attraction was a "pocket camera" with an APS-C sensor. I'm learning to love it more. But because I wanted a remote cable release and I finally found the facts, there are only three (or is it two?) of the M series that have the connection. Choice was M-5 or M-6. I bought a used M-6. WOW!

The camera is faster and better than the original M. Now I'm searching for the M-6 II (no cable release) 32MP

Still some M-6 ii in stock, but nothing for almost two years. B&H just jumps to R, Adorama has some for over $2,000. I think the M is done. Amazon the silver is $1,168. This is not an ad. Abe's of Maine, $995. Interesting for all those variations.

Two worlds, the DSLR which is going out of style, one model left in production from Canon, that I can see? The new and fashionable Mirrorless R. And the third world that bridged the gap. I've never had someone comment "what a big camera you have" or get excited about, what are you shooting, why and are you a professional, when I have a nice unobtrusive, M in my hands. There is something about not attracting attention.

Attachments

• castello del poggio 10mp.jpg
    castello del poggio 10mp.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back