Traffic Light Trails Critique

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some traffic trails here for critique if you please. Haven't been doing much with the camera of late and all that idling has caused a bit of a carbon buildup in the photography brain. Anywho as the infrastructure is static the flaws can be put down to me, and they are?

Thanks

1 Light Trails.jpg 2Light Trails-2.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion: the sky is too light, and you don't need as much of it.

My opinion: the sky is too light, and you don't need as much of it.

Ya courtesy of my old friend the moon. I will mark that on the to do. Do prefer one over the other?

I think I prefer the one on the left. Very nice!

Your camera is defective... It's got the tail lights on the left and the headlights on the right.

All kidding aside, I think the first one looks a little cleaner.

Your camera is defective... It's got the tail lights on the left and the headlights on the right.
It's not the camera - you're just looking at the slide from the back. ;)

I think I like the second one. Maybe just because of the turn signal (the yellow streak) near the middle.

All kidding aside, I think the first one looks a little cleaner.

Here in Ireland people sometimes drive on the left it crazy :indecisiveness:

Last edited:
My advice: once you get past the fascination of "hey, long exposures of car lights look cool"...move to interesting shapes. You basically have two lines with two colors (headlights and tail lights). Beyond the initial "long exposures are cool" element, there needs to be more here. Maybe a message about urban life. Or speed and life passing us by. Or busy roads. Or stop and go. Lots of possible messages with this concept but you'd need to find a setting that would help you convey this. Right now, it's just two lines of light. Find a piece of the road with a nice curve to it, maybe even an "S" curve and shoot that. Or a dip in the road (so the lights disappear and then re-emerge in another part of the screen as the road rises). Or some other urban stationary lights. Or pose a stationary spectator near the side of the road. I view this as a start that you're going to then move on to a more interesting compositional element.

Your points are valid Joe but as my car is double parked and the ticket guy is snooping I have to rush off.

Double Parked.jpg

Most reactions

Back