Train station at night

ernie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberliquid.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, this was my first attempt at decent night photography and heavy post-processing afterwards. Worst problem to deal with seemed to be the lens flares, had to clone out quite a few. That and the fact I had to come back twice :) (forgot lens hood first time, battery died second time). Oh and it started raining the last hour.
Anyways, hope these turned out ok, been working on them all day. C&C welcome as always, as well as tips for nighttime photography.

train-station-09.jpg

train-station-03.jpg

train-station-02.jpg

train-station-05.jpg

More pictures here.

The second one is great, I like the flare reflected off the train track.

Are the colors like that on purpose or did you have trouble with the white balance? Try shooting raw and then adjusting the white balance in a raw conversion software.

Are the colors like that on purpose or did you have trouble with the white balance? Try shooting raw and then adjusting the white balance in a raw conversion software.
Looks like he did it on purpose. Cross-processing like Thorhammers style.

I'd say the colors were on purpose. Anyways, I like the lights. Did you use a starburst filter or just stop down? I think the exposures are overall, well done, if anything, they might be just a tad overexposed because there seems to be some haze. But that might have well been the rain, or the compression needed to get them on here. Good work though, I like them.

fantastic angles, I like how you are not afraid to get a low POV.
Colors are pretty moody, also nice. This inspires me to go tonight to the
Fullerton station and see if theres anything interesting.

Tell me did security harass you at all ? Also, where was this done ? I know your in belgium, but is this one of the bigger
stations, or is this normal size? Im just curious how they treat photographers over there... !!!

They are like that on purpose, made the conversion in photoshop.

julz said:
i think it looks pretty cool
i'd be too scared to go to a train station at night esp with expensive camera equipment lol
Thank you. There's nothing to be scared of, worst average crime in my little town are bar fights and drunk driving :)

The Phototron said:
Cross-processing like Thorhammers style.
I wouldn't know if it's processed the same way, don't know how he processes his images. I do like his work a lot though, and my edit was inspired by his. Don't mean to duplicate or steal it in any way though :)

Trenton Romulox said:
I'd say the colors were on purpose. Anyways, I like the lights. Did you use a starburst filter or just stop down? I think the exposures are overall, well done, if anything, they might be just a tad overexposed because there seems to be some haze. But that might have well been the rain, or the compression needed to get them on here. Good work though, I like them.
Thanks. I just stopped down, don't own any filters yet :)
It's true there is some haze, it came through while post-processing. As said I've tried a lot of new photoshop tricks, still trying to get the best results. PP TIPS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME BY THE WAY!

THORHAMMER said:
fantastic angles, I like how you are not afraid to get a low POV.
Colors are pretty moody, also nice. This inspires me to go tonight to the
Fullerton station and see if theres anything interesting.

Tell me did security harass you at all ? Also, where was this done ? I know your in belgium, but is this one of the bigger
stations, or is this normal size? Im just curious how they treat photographers over there... !!!
Thanks! Actually just set up my tripod and never bothered to change the height. Lower to the ground adds more content in an otherwise empty station I feel, plus you can see the light bouncing off the ground better.

As for security ... we don't have security here. This is your average train station (2 tracks and a couple of buildings) in Belgium, almost every town has got one since it's a small country and therefor it's an easy means of transport. (Get from one side of the country to the other in half a day!)
That being said, even the biggest train stations in Brussels or Antwerp have very little or no security. I'm sure there are people keeping an eye out but I don't think they'll bother you for taking a picture. No terror attack-paranoia here :)

Most reactions

Back