What's new

Train Track Abstracts

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While I was waiting for the trains, I took some time to take some abstract shots of some of my surroundings.

1.
$DSC_0185_6_7_tonemapped.webp
2
$DSC_0177-2.webp
3
$DSC_0158-2.webp
4
$DSC_0154-2.webp
5
$DSC_0151-2.webp

Neah, eh?
 
Any feedback??? Please? :hail:
 
Abstracts are hard for cc IMO. There are certain things that work for some, but not for all. And they're not supposed to.

With that said, none of these strike me as very"abstracty". For example, the pile of rocks just looks like a pile of rocks. Same thing with #1. With those kind of pictures, I think you need a unique angle, or something else to make the shot interesting.

Just my $0.02.
 
#4 is the voo and the only one I'd call abstract. #3 does the least for me.

All are worth looking at.
 
Abstracts are hard for cc IMO. There are certain things that work for some, but not for all. And they're not supposed to.

With that said, none of these strike me as very"abstracty". For example, the pile of rocks just looks like a pile of rocks. Same thing with #1. With those kind of pictures, I think you need a unique angle, or something else to make the shot interesting.

Just my $0.02.

Okay, so perhaps 'abstract' isn't the right term for it. What would you call it then? (And no, this is not an invite to call it 'bad' photography)
 
I always wanted to get a train coming past! That would be sweet! Never thought to look even smaller then that to the tracks itself! Pretty cool Idea!
 
#4 is definitely cool. I actually kinda like #2 as well, though the others are right, it's not abstract, but I wouldn't get hung up on terminology about it. Only thing about #2 is that it seems like it could use a contrast boost or something; maybe better lighting--seems a bit gray and flat--but I like the subject and the composition.
 
5 and 2 are my favorites. Others are just pics. The shadow detail in #2 makes it stand out as good.
 
I'm not sure what you would call these photos outside of just calling them photos. Number 4 is pretty abstract in my opinion. Generally speaking, abstract should make the viewer question what they are looking at and to subjectively answer that question for themselves. Number 1 is a pattern study but I can tell that they are railroad beams. Number 2 is the head of a railroad spike. Number 3 is a shallow DOF of a railroad beam. Number 4 makes me question what it really is and so I came up with the idea that this, for me, is a break through an obstruction. It harkens to an idea that though we may have barriers, there is always a way through if we keep looking. Number 5 is a photo of rocks (another good pattern study). Keep shooting!
 
Nice shots. Do you every do any Trick Scale shots ?
 
Thanks for the feedback, folks :)
 
Trick Scale ( ie ). A close up of a person with a tall building in the background. Gives the affect that the person is as tall or almost as tall as the building.
 
This, pretty much:

I'm not sure what you would call these photos outside of just calling them photos. Number 4 is pretty abstract in my opinion. Generally speaking, abstract should make the viewer question what they are looking at and to subjectively answer that question for themselves. Number 1 is a pattern study but I can tell that they are railroad beams. Number 2 is the head of a railroad spike. Number 3 is a shallow DOF of a railroad beam. Number 4 makes me question what it really is and so I came up with the idea that this, for me, is a break through an obstruction. It harkens to an idea that though we may have barriers, there is always a way through if we keep looking. Number 5 is a photo of rocks (another good pattern study). Keep shooting!


I think 4 is an abstract, per definition. And coincidentally, the shot I like the most. Don't be afraid to push the envelope with this type of photography. Challenge the viewer.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom