Transgender Awareness Portraits

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is the local project I was working on last week. It was Transgender Awareness Week so I contacted a local org who was hosting events and asked if it would be cool to take some portraits throughout the week for a personal project. Thankfully, everyone who attended was very open so it wasn't hard to talk to them and get their perspective. I'd like to continue taking portraits for the project given that I can find people willing to be participate.

Taken with natural light and a white foamboard for the background. It worked in a pinch!

Grid.jpg

Those look great! I feel like you've captured more than just their images.

Very good -- by all means continue it's an effort worth pursuing.

Joe

Interesting project. Good job. What would make it really interesting if you could get each person to provide what and how they feel. Of course with the understanding that nothing would be provided in a public way without their permission. It would bring realness to their stories. I'm reminded of a popular book a couple of years ago Humans of New York that had a short blurb of what the people in each of his pictures thought. Here's the link to the author's website. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
Good luck.

Humans of New York

Those look great! I feel like you've captured more than just their images.

Thank you. I'd like to think so! The actual shoot per person was very brief, but I'd like to think they were able to present their most authentic self.

Very good -- by all means continue it's an effort worth pursuing.

Joe

Thank you. I think so too. The most difficult part is finding people who are willing to get in front of the camera. There are a lot more trans people than we realize, but it's such a contentious topic that many of them are afraid to come out. The trans community - and this is a personal belief - is still about 10 years behind where gay acceptance is now. I've met a few individuals who would like to be part of the project but who are terrified of the ramifications of identifying as transgender.

Interesting project. Good job. What would make it really interesting if you could get each person to provide what and how they feel. Of course with the understanding that nothing would be provided in a public way without their permission. It would bring realness to their stories. I'm reminded of a popular book a couple of years ago Humans of New York that had a short blurb of what the people in each of his pictures thought. Here's the link to the author's website. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
Good luck.

Humans of New York

Thank you. I used to follow Humans of New York on Facebook. While I didn't think the photography was anything special from a technical standpoint (much like my photos here lol), I did enjoy the many stories told and the way that the photographer (I want to say his name was...Brandon?) approached each subject. He's a much better interviewer than I am. I am incredibly socially awkward in normal circumstances. I would love to get to the point that I could photograph each individual in the place they feel most comfortable (EG: an environmental portrait) while also writing an accurate and sympathetic profile about their journey to being who they truly are. That would be the ideal culmination of this project to be honest.

I'm still not quite sure how to approach that, however. My biggest fear is that the trans community will believe I am co-opting their identities for my own benefit, which is not my intention.

Maybe you can make friends with someone from that community who might share an interest in your project. Then they could introduce you to their friends in the community and provide assurance to them about your concern and legitimacy. Once you get started, there will be friends of friends who could expand the number of contacts you can meet. Good luck.

Great shooting, great project.

Great images and project, hope to see more.

I do a lot of projects for charity. Have an agreement with a local stylist who will do makeovers and I will do portraits of cancer patients. I have done portraits of injured veterans and their dogs. Vets are soft spot for me as I have dealt with PTSD myself and had blood leak out from orifices that hadn't been there moments before. I do dog days and cat days for the local shelter. The yearly Blessing of the Bikes for the Catholic Church. That is always fun as I ride and am good friends with Father Clay who rides motorcycles and looks like a Hells Angel. I have been approached by groups for gay pride events and sadly I have turned those down. My city is very, very conservative. I have done a couple of gay weddings and those went over well. Other photographers have done gay weddings here, and it is understood that it is part of what we as photographers do. But a gay pride event would be seen as an endorsement of a lifestyle and I would definitely take a financial hit. Personally, I believe you are who you are and your orientation does not matter to me to have you as a friend or client. But it shames me that I am not brave enough to take a financial hit over it.

Great set! I like how there are different head poses & expressions. Thanks for sharing the white foam board tip.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back