Travel camera for a beginner?

Astairical

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm a total beginner at photography and since I'm going to be travelling this spring/summer, I'd like a camera with me. I'd also like it to record some good video. I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix L840 as a possible choice, could someone tell me if that's worth the money? I can't afford a DSLR right now, because I'm a broke student, and my budget would be below $200. I know that's not a lot, and I'll have to make sacrifices for quality, but that's really all I can afford. I own an Olympus fe-46 but that's total rubbish, as I have figured out.

Should I get some of the earlier models of the Nikon Coolpix (i.e. 820, 830), or is the 840 worth paying the extra money for? Or are there other, better models out there? Thank you for your help!

Hi everyone, I'm a total beginner at photography and since I'm going to be travelling this spring/summer, I'd like a camera with me. I'd also like it to record some good video. I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix L840 as a possible choice, could someone tell me if that's worth the money? I can't afford a DSLR right now, because I'm a broke student, and my budget would be below $200. I know that's not a lot, and I'll have to make sacrifices for quality, but that's really all I can afford. I own an Olympus fe-46 but that's total rubbish, as I have figured out.

Should I get some of the earlier models of the Nikon Coolpix (i.e. 820, 830), or is the 840 worth paying the extra money for? Or are there other, better models out there? Thank you for your help!

All of my cameras have been Canon , I have owned a point and shoot or a power shot G10.
the canon rebel t3i and the canon 5Dmk II.
Persoanally I would look for a used canon T3i, At least then you can buy certain leses that can be used on other camera better camera bodies as your upgrade you cameras in the future.

All of my cameras have been Canon , I have owned a point and shoot or a power shot G10.
Persoanally I would look for a used canon T3i, At least then you can buy certain leses that can be used on other camera better camera bodies as your upgrade you cameras in the future.
I looked up the prices for the T3i, I think it'll be hard to find a used one that's in my price range, but I'll definitely keep looking. Meanwhile I've found some G10s in my price range, would you recommend that?

I think you should get a used Lumix lx7. It is in your budget and perfect for any situation at the moment for you.

The other option would be an olympus xz1, which is about $100 cheaper.

Also, the lx5 is almost just as good and can be had for $110 at keh.

I looked up the prices for the T3i, I think it'll be hard to find a used one that's in my price range, but I'll definitely keep looking. Meanwhile I've found some G10s in my price range, would you recommend that?

I liked my G10 and when I sold it a couple of years ago I sold it for 150.00
I didn't have any issues with my G10 but I did here that there was some issues.
Your pick on the Nikon you posted doesn't look like a bad camera ......

I have had ( extremely ) good luck buying used cameras ( canon ) .

Have you checked the wanted for sale section of this forum.
You might just start a new thread in the market place of this forum saying Help.
Looking for a good camera my budget is 200. 00 bucks, I am a student and I want to video the wild parties during spring break .

I am also a member of a another photography forum, seems to stay pretty busy but there sale section is very active.
I have bought about 12k in camera gear and I have no complaints.
You could check out Photography on the Net ( canon photography forum ) for sale section.
Straight up I do have one regret, that is I wished I could of afforded a full frame camera body from the very beginning.

I rather would have a old full frame body and focus more on decent glass.
G10 photos

Something that might be important to you is if you can download twixter and magic lantern into the camera you plan on buying.

Something to think about if you a looking at used cameras. Most of the time they come without a warrantee. While this may not be an issue if you have reserve cash, I could be a disaster if you have limited resources. If you are thinking in this direction, I would look at factory refurbished cameras with warrantee or an OB with warrantee intact. That way you can save a few bucks and still avoid the risk of something going wrong.

Are there any major drawbacks to having the lx5 instead of the lx7? (But thanks, I'll definitely look at the cameras you recommended!)

I liked my G10 and when I sold it a couple of years ago I sold it for 150.00
I didn't have any issues with my G10 but I did here that there was some issues.
Your pick on the Nikon you posted doesn't look like a bad camera ......

I have had ( extremely ) good luck buying used cameras ( canon ) .

Have you checked the wanted for sale section of this forum.
You might just start a new thread in the market place of this forum saying Help.
Looking for a good camera my budget is 200. 00 bucks, I am a student and I want to video the wild parties during spring break .

I am also a member of a another photography forum, seems to stay pretty busy but there sale section is very active.
I have bought about 12k in camera gear and I have no complaints.
You could check out Photography on the Net ( canon photography forum ) for sale section.
Straight up I do have one regret, that is I wished I could of afforded a full frame camera body from the very beginning.

I rather would have a old full frame body and focus more on decent glass.
G10 photos

Something that might be important to you is if you can download twixter and magic lantern into the camera you plan on buying.
I'll definitely look at those, thank you! What are twixtor and magic lantern, sorry, pardon the noob question!

If you can find a way to stretch your budget to $250 + tax, you can get a Refurbished DSLR from Canon with 1 year warranty
Canon EOS Rebel T5 EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished | Canon Online Store
Thank you! I'll try my best, that looks like a really good camera!

Its a program that down loads into your memory card in your camera/
So far you can only down load the program in certain cameras like the T3I and the 7 D
You can do slow motion video and photography

Even to this day I use the LX5 as my travel camera (even though I own a D810).

Here are some photos using the LX5 from a various vacations.
It's great for documenting visits and does decent pictures.
I would rather have a lesser camera but go more places.

Though to be honest, I'm inordinately fond of just using my phone to take pictures when I travel.

Attachments

• P1000384.jpg
    P1000384.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 139
  • P1030891.jpg
    P1030891.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 128
  • P1050379.jpg
    P1050379.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 164
  • P1060392.jpg
    P1060392.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 155
I've decided that I'm likely going to get the lx7, mainly because I know I'm going to be shooting a lot of video and the lx7 seems to be better for that. (I could be wrong, though!) Does this listing seem to be a good buy or is it too good to be true? Is it worth taking the risk to get it without waranty? Or does anyone know where I can get the lx7 for less than $200?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back