Traveling with Equipment

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all-

I have landed my first gig where I have to go on location for a shoot. I am bringing my lights on the flight with me, as I don't want the hassle of having to rent equipment once I get there. My lights fit in a large, rectangular semi-padded case. Can anyone give me advice on how to pack the equipment so it doesn't get damaged in transit? I don't have insurance on it, so if it breaks, I will be very, very sad. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jennifer:queen:

First of all...why don't you have insurance on it? Maybe you don't need insurance on it all the time...but you might be able to get short term or travel insurance for the trip.

Personally, If I had to travel with lights, I would get some kind of hard case. The plastic style cases are pretty good. Pelican makes some good (& expensive) ones. Maybe even a plastic tool box or something like that. Alternatively, you could use something like a 'Road Case'...like they use in the music or film industry. Basically just a well built wooden box with padding and metal corners and wheels etc.

I aggree with the 2 previous answers, insure your equipment.

Make sure that the cases have a hard shell, and padding created for your gear. (This you can make by cutting out the shape of the equipment in the padding.) This will protect your luggage.

Allso make sure to label your case with Fragile. I would allso recomend a G-force indicator. This is a sticker with an indicator that turns Red when the case is handeled with to much force. That way you can be positive that the case has been handeled with respect. The G-force indicator stickers come in various different specs, and are made for different force use. So don't get one that won't indicate anything before 9G. Get one that will indicate at 2 to 4G.

The ground crew will have respect for that indicator, and treat your luggage with respect. Fragile stickers are not so much respected.
Those guys are instructed to handle every suitcase and bag as their own, this is why they make sure that anything that is fragile is well protected. They do throw suitcases around, and really punish the luggage. (I know, I used to be one of thouse guys...)

I hope this helps, at least a bit.

Best of luck.

Thanks, guys! GREAT answers. I have two questions: Where would I get that G-force indicator sticker, and where do I go to get insurance on my equipment? Being a mum with two small children at home, I always fear for my gear!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

for the stickers you could get them at any type of shipping place, like a fedex, ups or dhL places. a business store has them, (ie staples)

As far as insurance you can just use the company you may use right now for homeowners or renters or car insurance that you use right now I imagine you have at least one of them. Another way to go might be http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3 but I guess this depends on how much work you do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back