Travelling, which lenses to take?

My perfect travel kit is the Olympus E30 with 12-60 and 70-300 Zuiko lenses, along with the Zuiko 50 f2 macro lens. Fits into a relatively small camera bag or fanny pack and covers everything I've ever needed (35mm equivalent of 24-120 & 140-600 in just two lenses). The 12-60 focuses fairy closely, so in a pinch I can live without the 50. While some may turn their noses up at 4/3, I've found it to be a very good match for my needs, and if I need extreme resolution to print beyond 16x20, I have my Gigapan Pro robotic tripod head for panorama or large-scale stitching work. That too is travel kit, but in a large photo backpack.

For truly light travel, then it's my EPL1 with the 14 f2.5 and the 50 f2 via adapter. Add a Gorillapod for HDR and night-time work and I'm set. Pressed, I'd use the 12-60 on that camera via adapter, but the auto focus isn't what you get on the E30...

Thanks guys! I have the 60D. I'm leaning towards the 10-22mm for some neat wide shots but still mulling it over. The tele would be nice too, for some shots that I can't get right up to. Appreciate all the input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back