Travelling with large glass (300mm 2.8, tripods etc)

DigiJay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.naturalstudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife and I are travelling to Peru this spring for wildlife photography. We have two tripods, a couple 300mm lenses plus all of our other gear (2 bodies, a laptop, smaller lenses, tc's, flashes, clothing for 3 weeks etc).
I have no clue what the best way to transport this gear is. What kind of bags/ cases should I get? I know airlines are getting tighter on restrictions and they have stupid weight limits on carry one luggage as well.

Can anyone with experience travelling with big glass offer some tips?

Jay

im sure think thank has something for you

Maybe you should be a little more counter productive, do you need the laptop? Why do you need 2 tripods, is it likely that you'll be using both at once? and the same for the 300mm lenses, if they share the same lens mount then what's the point in 2? When I go on holiday, I want to take every camera and every lens that I have, but if I did that they would need their own suitcase so I must rationalise and decide which i need most or use most, then reduce it down to about 6 rolls of film, 2 film cameras, one digital with 2 SD cards, and 2 small lenses. If you can sacrifice a laptop for a bunch of SD cards instead then do it! The same for flashes, why carry so many, what are the chances you'll both be using the flash for a photo at the same time. The issue is that in a lot of countries, when people realise you're carrying something of value, it's quite likely to "disappear".

Maybe you should be a little more counter productive, do you need the laptop? Why do you need 2 tripods, is it likely that you'll be using both at once? and the same for the 300mm lenses, if they share the same lens mount then what's the point in 2? When I go on holiday, I want to take every camera and every lens that I have, but if I did that they would need their own suitcase so I must rationalise and decide which i need most or use most, then reduce it down to about 6 rolls of film, 2 film cameras, one digital with 2 SD cards, and 2 small lenses. If you can sacrifice a laptop for a bunch of SD cards instead then do it! The same for flashes, why carry so many, what are the chances you'll both be using the flash for a photo at the same time. The issue is that in a lot of countries, when people realise you're carrying something of value, it's quite likely to "disappear".

Thanks for the thoughts. I was looking for advice from people who have experience travelling with equipment. I need all of the equipment because it's a 2 week wildlife photography workshop that we are doing. Much of it involves multiple flash photography with humming birds. There are two of us shooting and we are paying a stupid amount of money to do this, we aren't going to "take turns" with only one tripod or flash, simply not an option. We are sharing lenses, and a computer, but tripods, bodies and flashes are all thins we need at least 2 of.

Last edited:
I use and love Pelican cases, downside is they're on the heavy side. The 1510 is the largest you can carry on IIRC. I have 2 Pelican cases, love and trust them fully. When I traveled to SE Asia though I carried everything by backpack, including laptop. Certainly easier, you just need to take care it doesn't get banged up too much.

I found a 1510 on kijiji and was planning on picking it up today :) Now I feel even better about my choice.

Good deal, buy the mesh lid organizer too. Oh, I like the padded inserts, not the foam, it's easier to customize. Weight is an issue, you might need to actually carry your body and heaviest glass around your neck when checing in and place it in the case after your inside the terminal.

here's how I have mine laid out

IMG_0406.jpg

D700, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 50, grip, filters, 4 SB-800s, 2 neck straps, all my batteries, memory, cleaning kit, rechargeables, etc.

After all that, I ended up selling my Pelican and picking up the Lowepro Trekker AW2. Mainly because it will be more functional on the trip I'm taking and it's a bit less weight.
I'm quite happy with my decision.

I just came back from Roatan. I carried my cameras, Laptop, GoPro, flashes and all the accessories in my Tamrac Backpack (as my personal item) plus a regular carry-on bag. The backpack weighed over 38lbs, not a word was said and I didn't have to weigh it either. I flew on United and Continental, not sure if it makes a difference on airlines.

Pop into your local Henry's and get the staff to help you out and see what will fit your gear best. I'm thinking ThinkTank Glass Taxi.

Carry on the equipement you can't afford to replace if it's stolen by a baggage handler during the trip. I'd probably check the tripods, but carry on the lenses and bodies. Laptops typically are not counted as 'carry on' unless you have them in a huge bag.

Enjoy the trip, sounds fun!

here's how I have mine laid out

IMG_0406.jpg

D700, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 50, grip, filters, 4 SB-800s, 2 neck straps, all my batteries, memory, cleaning kit, rechargeables, etc.

What in the world is that black thing that looks like a hand grenade with a red tip? I can see that causing alarms at the security checkpoint!

CMfromIL said:
What in the world is that black thing that looks like a hand grenade with a red tip? I can see that causing alarms at the security checkpoint!

It's to blow dust off the lens.

I would assume that anything I value that is left in the checked luggage will NOT arrive at destination with you.

Have you considered shipping some of your gear in advanced ?

Most reactions

Back