Tree for c&c

Yeah, I can see that the monochrome image would be better than the colour ... though I don't think the tree itself is strong enough to carry the shot.
Possibly wider angle or different viewpoint ...

Yeah, I can see that the monochrome image would be better than the colour ... though I don't think the tree itself is strong enough to carry the shot.
Possibly wider angle or different viewpoint ...

Thanks for your feedback. I do have one from a different angle but it's not any wider and it doesn't show the tree bending into the ice. It's not far from home so I may go back there next week and bring my 11-17mm with me this time. Of course the ice may be melted by then and that is what attracted me to the shot in the first place.

Thanks for looking!

Keep at it with the tree.
Most of the really great shots (that I like) took time to figure out the exact time and viewpoint ... I usually frequent a particular place at different times of the day or year to get that great image.

I don't usually try B&W but the color version of this was a bit boring. What do you think?

Feb2016_2289b by SharonCat..., on Flickr
I liked the shot, but thought the verticals of the trees on the right edge detracted from curves of the subject, so I moved your crop a little to the left, leaving your proportions. I also increased the contrast a little - just two tiny tweeks in iPhoto.
25043225512_334ba52bc1_b.jpg

@otherprof , I like that much better. Thanks!

I was thinking that too, that I'd do some adjustments in the contrast.

There's probably more than one way you could frame or crop this. I might keep the light color tree on the right, and maybe crop the left side slightly. What I might crop would be the bottom to eliminate the branches down there and the darker area that looks like breaks in the ice - to me that creates some pattern and shapes and contrast that makes for some visual clutter and distraction.

It's a great subject and actually a nice photo I think. Taking more photos of it could be fun, I'd probably like to shoot this on a sunny day, not midday but on a day when you can get some nice dark and light to get a good B&W.

I agree with otherprof, although I might not crop the bottom to keep the ratio the same - I think it might work better with a little more foreground. The bottom line is that you need to play with it and see what you like best.

Most reactions

Back