Trees with slight aurora

wackinwuss

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any / all feedback welcome. I don’t know much about photography but am trying to learn.

74202F22-B67B-41F1-925E-B829CAC12639.jpeg

CB32BAA9-7928-424F-82B3-B8E89E8813C6.jpeg

I like the aurora you captured.

Beautiful!

The distortion on the sides are from vertically angling your wide lens. They are very sensitive to angles.

Thanks for the responses. I’m guessing vertical angling means having the lens pointed upwards?

Thanks for the responses. I’m guessing vertical angling means having the lens pointed upwards?
Not only upward, but any off-center axis composition. You get the opposite phenomenon when focusing downward. Depending of the focal length of the lens, the distortion can become more enhanced, especially the shorter the focal length. An extreme example is the fish-eye lens. Distortion is a bit minimized with lenses as wide as 24mm. Wider than that, and the distortion becomes more pronounced.

With wide angle lenses, you also have to take care when using polarizer filters. Those are designed to be used within a fairly narrow limit, in order to be beneficial. As you get further off-axis, the polarizing effect also becomes distorted.

Users of view cameras have rear and front axis adjustments to compensate for this type of distortion (within limits). You can also correct this type of distortion, to a degree, in post-image processing.

Nikon, on their web site, has an app which allows you to see what distortion can occur depending on camera and subject position, relative to the center axis of the lens.

BTW - You've created some stunning images. Keep at it!

Last edited:
These are beautiful images. Makes me want to put on a pair of cross-country skis and go exploring the area.

Not only upward, but any off-center axis composition. You get the opposite phenomenon when focusing downward. Depending of the focal length of the lens, the distortion can become more enhanced, especially the shorter the focal length. An extreme example is the fish-eye lens. Distortion is a bit minimized with lenses as wide as 24mm. Wider than that, and the distortion becomes more pronounced.

With wide angle lenses, you also have to take care when using polarizer filters. Those are designed to be used within a fairly narrow limit, in order to be beneficial. As you get further off-axis, the polarizing effect also becomes distorted.

Users of view cameras have rear and front axis adjustments to compensate for this type of distortion (within limits). You can also correct this type of distortion, to a degree, in post-image processing.
This is helpful, thank you. I’m not sure if I have front/rear axis adjustment, but I do see my lens has a fw update and has some calibration software that I’ve yet to utilize (Sigma 14mm f1.8). Perhaps that will help. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions

Most reactions

New Topics

Back