Trialing a new look.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've seen some very interesting photos recently post processed to heck. I tried some of this myself and was aiming for something Dave Hill with an added bit of grunge and less plastic.

1812685226_6c68207833_o.jpg

Ignoring the squinting and the poor composition (cutting off hands is all too easy in self portraits), and the fact I need some sun, what do you think? I'm going to try and get some friends to try this look on in a more industrial setting as soon as exams are finished.

/EDIT: Doh this was supposed to go in the people and pets sub-forum. Sorry :(

I'm not sure what you did there.
Mostly it just looks overexposed...but maybe that's what you did in PP?

His chest looks like plastic, especially around the armpit/shoulder area.

Dave Hill's work is all HDR, right? He uses a lot of really dark, contrasty areas, which I don't see in your photo.

I think you need to a break from the computer and get some sun... looking a bit pale... I agree with the overexposed comment, the face is getting there but the left side appears blown out. Also the chestcould use some lighting, its looks a bit flat.

Yeah it was cloudy outside. I'll try again tomorrow when the sun is back out and see if I can get some other highlights with crosslighting.

I do see it's a bit blown now. That's post processing. I'll try something else which doesn't bring the highlights up that much. Maybe start by converting to 16bit and dropping the brightness.

Dave Hill's is not HDR. It's a bucket load of sharpening curves and highpass layers stacked on top of each other. There's plenty of tutorials on the net to achieve his look. And unfortunately I do look plastic so it's probably time to scrap it and go back to the drawing board. :x

Dave Hill's is not HDR. It's a bucket load of sharpening curves and highpass layers stacked on top of each other.

Really! Wow! I'm still so new at post processing it's hard for me to tell what people do, ha ha. I'm looking forward to your next set!

Marian

/EDIT: Doh this was supposed to go in the people and pets sub-forum. Sorry :(

This can be remedied! :D
Has been, actually!

And it is YOU? How come you so little resemble your avatar then? (I don't think you resemble it much, that is).

You do look pale! No need to where you live, I should say!!!

wildmaven dammit and I was hoping there'd be no pressure to try this again :er:

LaFoto thanks. The avatar picture was taken at 3 in the morning that could account for some difference. As for the pale skin I may live in the city of permanent sunburns but I've been hiding in my room for 2 weeks cramming 6 weeks worth of skipped uni lectures into my head before my exams next week. But the day after exams I'm taking a trip to the beach so everything will be good again.

Grain I think I will try that. The lighting isn't as harsh as I'd like it looking back but I'll see if I can't make it usable in curves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back