tried my hand at some b/w nature- want help.

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
thought i would try my hand at some nature in black and white for a change---so braved the elements today and got some new shots to work with.
please tell me what you guys think. i can handle some harsh criticism so speak your mind. any help/comments would be appreciated :thumbup:

this photo was almost black and white anyway. i was going for a hitchcock birds movie vibe...
stuff043.jpg

on my way to the woods--i just so happened to turn around and see the footprints i was making
Copyofsnowforest008.jpg

snowforest057.jpg

snowforest159bw.jpg

we must live close cause i got some snow last night. I have shot some B&W film but never digital. not sure why but it looks really old, like a scan of an old pic or something... You def hit that hitchcock movie vibe you were goin for in the first one. I really like the last one, I love the woods on the first snow.

Nice scenes, but as a general comment they are all lacking in contrast; lots of grey, very little black and white.

How do you keep your camera dry?

We are getting our first snow today, supposed to get 6-8 by morning, wish I didn't have to work

we must live close cause i got some snow last night. I have shot some B&W film but never digital. not sure why but it looks really old, like a scan of an old pic or something... You def hit that hitchcock movie vibe you were goin for in the first one. I really like the last one, I love the woods on the first snow.

yep were both midwest, cept im a little more south than you :wink:. i didnt do anything but turn them b/w but i see what you mean by the old look. thanks for commenting

Nice scenes, but as a general comment they are all lacking in contrast; lots of grey, very little black and white.

yes- i dont usually like to alter my pictures much but you are right- they need some contrast-- thanks alot for the help!

How do you keep your camera dry?

We are getting our first snow today, supposed to get 6-8 by morning, wish I didn't have to work

well...i just kept my camera tucked into a pocket in my coveralls--hahaha. its not very effective, but its inexpensive. but my camera is probably not near as expensive as yours. im gonna have to get a case of sorts soon because im in my kayak alot too-- im just pretty much askin for disaster. hahaha

I dropped my phone in the water yesterday, getting out of my kayak, got lucky, it still works

Hey Flower,
I like your shots, but as stated above there is to much gray and not enough tone. How are you converting these? If using PS try increasing your highlights and shadows a bit, while decreasing your midtones. Might also try some dodging and color burn before converting.
Keep up the good work.

thanks so much for your help DRoberts. i will modify them and then post them on here again soon.
i convert them in my uploading program called Microsoft Digital Starter Edition 2006--it came standard on the computer. then anything extra i want to do, i load my photo to gimp.

Other than the last one that I don't really care for (personally)
These are really good! I love how you have improved, I like that your shots are somewhat unique to the usual stuff...
I like them just the way they are if you haven't reposted them I like the contrast etc in these just fine..
Great Pics!!

the problem with black and white and your subject matter is that the tones are going to render as a middle gray value. You have to do something after the fact to separate these values.

it really helps a lot to consider the tonal relationships before , rather than after the fact. Be aware of what pp will be needed and it will help create better black and white images.

i believe someone else has already suggested a method for converting, however, you might also look at using channel mixing as another option

Other than the last one that I don't really care for (personally)
These are really good! I love how you have improved, I like that your shots are somewhat unique to the usual stuff...
I like them just the way they are if you haven't reposted them I like the contrast etc in these just fine..
Great Pics!!

The last one is my favorite; just ignore the subject matter and just take in the texture of it all--it sometimes helps if photos like this are displayed upside down.

thank you so much for your thoughts djacobox! hehehe. i always love putting photos on here and seeing which ones people like the most. it surprises me everytime.

heres one after i modified them-
its better, but is this what you guys had in mind?
burnofsnowforest008.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back