Tripod and shutter release cord

Harpua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fotki.com
I am still learning my camera (D70S) and realizing that I really need a tripod and a shutter release cord (is that even what it is called?). I do not know much about either of these things so I am hoping you can help me know what I should be looking for.

For the shutter release cord there is a wired and wireless version for my camera. My thought is that wireless would be a lot more convenient, but is there something better about having a wire that I just have not thought of?

For the tripod, what things should I be looking at? What makes one good and another bad? I can think of a few things like weight and quality obviously, but what else should I be looking for or looking to avoid?

Thanks everyone.

I am bumping this up (I hope that is ok) because I am going shopping tonight and hope to have some advice from you knowledgeable people before I go out and drop some $. Thanks again!

As far as tripods go....You need to think about when/where you will be using it. You will obviously want something sturdy...but sturdy and light means expensive (carbon fiber). Sturdy and inexpensive means heavy.

If you plan to hike with it, or even take it around with you...wieght will be an issue. If you will mostly be using it at home or in a studio...then weight is not so much an issue.

What kind of head do you want? Cheaper tripods come with a built-in head, usually a three-way. Better tripods come separate from the head so that you can get what you want. There are 2-way, 3-way, ball heads etc. There are pistol grip ball heads.

For quality tripods...look at some Bogen/Manfrotto models. Velbon is also a good name.

Big Mike said:
If you plan to hike with it, or even take it around with you...weight will be an issue.
Weight will be an issue then. I do plan on taking it with me on my ventures outside. No major hiking, but short walks through the woods and trails and things like that.
Big Mike said:
What kind of head do you want? Cheaper tripods come with a built-in head, usually a three-way. Better tripods come separate from the head so that you can get what you want. There are 2-way, 3-way, ball heads etc. There are pistol grip ball heads.
What are the differences between these? I am not sure what you mean by 2 way, 3 way, ball heads, or pistol grip. Does two way, three way and ball head mean how they move? 2 way just moving left right and up down for instance? What is a pistol grip?

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I really appreciate all the advice you have given me so far!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back