Troll King

Yesssss... I saw that and then went to bed in my room with all three in the wall. .. It was. .. disturbing. :)

It is s narrow view from someone who spends a lot of time not only taking, but studying pictures of statues. Something I've done for nearly ten years.

It's a narrow view from someone whose favorite pictures ... out of the couple dozen I've taken that I think ate my tops... Are pictures of Angel statues.

I'm not saying you can't take pictures of statues that won't be appreciated. .. I'm not saying you can't take pictures of statues that won't have some photographic merit. Your picture here alone proves its possible. What I'm saying is that in the broad scope of pictures in the world that people regard as exceptional that I you just won't find many of statues. To be honest I think I've seen one.

And again. .. I love them.

I find these often very emotional and can work very well as a pictures.
Maybe true that shots like these don't comes at the top of all the pictures I have seen and taken.

Your pictures of the angel are very nice and quite typical of this kind of shots.
Not that it's anything wronge with that but it feel like I have seen these sevural times before.

I get often drawn to statues etc. when I visit a new city.
I don't see the picture above as a statue shot becouse it's a small figurin.
But here are some of my favorite statue shots.

Keep on snapping!

BKS... No offense. I don't see anything in your shots that raises them above what is typical.

Again... like mine... like many of them... they're pictures of statues.

What ALL of the pictures have in this thread is that they're not JUST pictures of statues. There was thought in the composition and there is a mood and such captured. But they are still just pictures of someone else's work.

What ALL of the pictures have in this thread is that they're not JUST pictures of statues. There was thought in the composition and there is a mood and such captured. But they are still just pictures of someone else's work.
Hi guys. I am following this thread with an interest, I never have had an opportunity to really analyze approach to statue photography and I mean here people like statues. Is this a portrait photography ? Or isn't ? What should be my approach ? I se a portrait photography as an obligation to show the character of the subject, but as the statues are nor really living creatures are we free to show our feelings about someone else's work ?
Hey, the guy here needs some better than mine advice:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/334358-they-go-down-sea-ships.html

It's true, and yet many of us are so drawn to them we want to find a way to capture them.

I will play along, since I've been following this discussion as well - and I've shot many a statue picture! I am especially fond of cemetery art.

Here is one. I made this print and toned it in sepia:

This is one of my (many) horrible scans, but this is one I shot with a Lensbaby, then toned in gold:

I think the challenge for us is to try to imprint our own interpretation of what draws us to these statues. For me, that usually means a B&W capture so I can think of my own color, or the use of the Lensbaby to add that feeling of "other-worldlyness" that I mentioned in reference to the OP's troll king image.

BKS... No offense. I don't see anything in your shots that raises them above what is typical.

Again... like mine... like many of them... they're pictures of statues.

Like I said befor there are no right or wronge just opinions.
But isn't next to all type of photography to take pictures of others work more or less?
More obvious things like architecture and street photograpy is just pictures of others work.
A city scape or some nice fields.
Taking a portrait would work if you take one of your son or daughter.
Can atleast take some of the credit there and less for grand children :)

Nature sceens can maybe work depending how far one wants to take this and ofcourse religious views.

Hi guys. I am following this thread with an interest, I never have had an opportunity to really analyze approach to statue photography and I mean here people like statues. Is this a portrait photography ? Or isn't ? What should be my approach ? I se a portrait photography as an obligation to show the character of the subject, but as the statues are nor really living creatures are we free to show our feelings about someone else's work ?
Hey, the guy here needs some better than mine advice:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/334358-they-go-down-sea-ships.html

A good question!
Not that I feel that it matters when you take pictures as art.
And this would goes hand in hand with pictures which have been heavaly edited in a computer, can be said that its not a picture and just digital art etc.

Also like my earlier post about taking pictures of others work: "isn't next to all type of photography to take pictures of others work more or less?......"

It's true, and yet many of us are so drawn to them we want to find a way to capture them.

I will play along, since I've been following this discussion as well - and I've shot many a statue picture! I am especially fond of cemetery art.

Here is one. I made this print and toned it in sepia:

This is one of my (many) horrible scans, but this is one I shot with a Lensbaby, then toned in gold:

I think the challenge for us is to try to imprint our own interpretation of what draws us to these statues. For me, that usually means a B&W capture so I can think of my own color, or the use of the Lensbaby to add that feeling of "other-worldlyness" that I mentioned in reference to the OP's troll king image.

I really like these.
Thay have a nice vintage look which often work for this.
The croked frames and the visible sprocket holes ads a little extra spice for me.

Also like to visit old churches etc. and I think I like these becouse thay can often show history and tell a story.
Just like a portrait of a really old and worn out person can.

Keep on snapping!

Thank you! And thank you for letting other members post their work in your thread to enhance the discussion. :)

I agree with Terri, I like the way the circular background frames the statue but without the ledge showing it might make it seem a little more fantasy than reality. I'm interested in paper negatives and want to try that process sometime; looking at your site and Facebook page it looks like you've created some wonderfully done photographs.

My post about paper negatives all done :)
Paper Negative - Info about paper negative © blog.bkspicture.com
Many thanks for the nice feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back