Trouble copying raw images

rob91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's the story. I have a laptop which I could copy my raw over to fine, straight from the cam (it's running Windows Vista). My desktop has XP Pro, and I tried and I tried but I could not get the raw to copy over. My jpegs went just fine, but no raw. I installed the camera raw, windows imaging component, and pretty much all the installs off of canon's website. I then used my card reader and I got it to work, although I couldn't do it the auto way through "Microsoft scanner and camera wizard" (which is what worked on the laptop) rather I had to manually open the files and copy them over.

I know it's not a huge deal, but any suggestions on how to fix this would be great.

Oh, and I have a rebel xt if it helps.

I have always just manually copied the files over...never had a problem. Sorry, I don't know much about the wizard.

Yeah, it would also be nice to copy them straight from the cam, I like to minimize how often I pull the card out of it.

I don't pull them right off the camera (I never attach the camera to the computer)...I either use a card reader or the built-in card slot in my desktop.

I put the card in and explore to it, then just drag and drop the files onto the hard drive.

Instead of using Microsoft utilities which may not work with some RAW files, use EOS Utility that came with your camera. It will start up automatically and then you can use it to download the files directly from your camera. I prefer it to removing the card and plugging it into a card reader because each time that the card is unplugged and then plugged in again is another opportunity for a damaged pin on the camera connector.

I've seen and heard about too many people catching the cord and sending their camera smashing to the floor...I'd rather pull the card than connect it to the computer. That's just IMO.

the easiest way to do this is to attach your camera, then go to windows explorer, select the camera(which will be seen as a harddrive with the icon of a camera) and then right click on it, and hit explore. then just drag and drop what you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back