trouble posting pictures

momo3boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not sure if it is because I am so new or if there is something I am not getting. I looked at the sticky thread about posting pictures and I have posted in similar forums fine. I can't seem to see what I need to to attach images. The dialog just isn't there for me. THere is only "Additional Options" after the dialog box. Nothing about attachments. I've tried attaching them into where I type but I only get a red exclamation point. I made sure the images were less than 150 but that STILL doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Are you clicking on the "Add Image" icon? Looks like a square pix of a tree.

That's the button I have been using, but when I upload a pic with it I get that red exclamation point... they are all .jpeg and under 150kb

Are you choosing "From Computer" or "From URL"?

From my computer, I don't have all my pictures uploaded onto my website yet.

You can't upload photos directly from your computer to the forum.

What most members do, is to use an off-site photo host like Photobucket or Flickr. You can then grab the URL from the hosted image and paste that on the forum to display your photos.

It's all explained in the sticky threads in the Welcome section.

Well that explains why 'my computer' isn't working. I guess I'll have to start an account. Any pros and cons of either one?

I use Flickr. I like it, although I do have a 'Pro' account which means I can upload to my hearts content no limits. The free account has upload and storage limits, I'm not sure what they are. Lightroom has a publishing service, I build a collection and upload it to Flickr. If I modify a photo I've uploaded I can upload the modified copy with 1 mouse click. Flickr also has an upload application you can download that works very well. Uploading from Flickr to here is real simple once the photos have been moved to Flickr.

Bruce

Flickr has the best usage terms and conditions (Photobucket has a few nasties in there). Also for the nominal fee per year flickr gives you a lot more uploading space and wider monthly limits on what you can upload, it also greatly increases the amount of organising you can use. Flickr is essentially geared toward intending that you pay the annual fee to get the best out of it.

OK, Now I am really confused. I have uploaded a few pictures to Flickr and tried sending them as a URL, that didn't work. I uploaded the pictures into the gallery on TPF just as the sticky thread told me to, then I copied the URL and pasted it and it keeps telling me 'invalid URL'. Any ideas what I am doing wrong. I consider myself computer savy but this is driving me crazy!

momo3boys said:
OK, Now I am really confused. I have uploaded a few pictures to Flickr and tried sending them as a URL, that didn't work. I uploaded the pictures into the gallery on TPF just as the sticky thread told me to, then I copied the URL and pasted it and it keeps telling me 'invalid URL'. Any ideas what I am doing wrong. I consider myself computer savy but this is driving me crazy!

Go to share button on flickr then grab link but make sure it's the bbcode. Then copy the bbcode and paste it right in the your post.

Or when you type in the url, uncheck the box underneath it. I get the error if its checked.

With a URL you can check if its the right one by simply opening a blank internet page (ie new tab) and then paste the url into the address bar - press enter and if you've got the right code the page should show the photo only.

Then its just a case of putting:
[ img ] paste url here [ /url ]

without the spaces into a thread to embed the image into the thread itself. If this fails on flickr and you're sure that you've got the right link make sure your privacy settings are set to open.

I unchecked the box... Thank you!

watermark_test.jpg

Most reactions

Back