Trouble With My 645

mangorockfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got a "mint" looking Mamiya 645 a few days ago and tried to crank it up today. Put a new Duracell lithium battery in it and the red numbers in the AE Prism Finder lit up for a couple of seconds and went out. Now there is nothing. The battery check light lights up, but nothing inside the finder. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks

The display is supposed to turn off after a few seconds to conserve the battery. Pressing the shutter button down half way is supposed to turn it on again.

Thanks Compur, I tried it, but it didn't come on. would this be the camera or viewfinder problem?

Last edited:
I don't know what I did, but it is working just fine.

One issue is that sometimes battery contacts can get a slight bit of buildup on them, and not make good contact. Even a bit of finger oil on a small battery can cause enough problem that a battery-driven metering system or a battery-powered camera appears "dead", but cleaning the contacts in the battery well and lid, or even spinning the battery in-place in the battery well, or even removing the batteries a few times, can sometimes bring a "dead" camera back to life. I witnessed this issue multiple times when I worked at a camera store. Many were the times somebody brought in a camera that was powered by two, 1.5 volt "button cells", and all I needed to do was clean the contacts, and wipe the button cells down with a clean cloth and carefully put them into the camera with the polarity correct and Presto! A revived camera! Perhaps you had something similar happen?

Enjoy the Mamiya - I reeeaaallllyyyy like mine!

Jim, I haven't started using mine yet, but really think I will enjoy it. I was looking for some add-ons for mine and found a near mint one in Japan that had everything I was looking for that was cheaper than everything I wanted if bought separately, so now I have two mint condition Supers. I hope I enjoy them. LOL

Now your problem will be to find a bag that can carry both of them with all the accessories.... or deciding what to take along. I found an old Tamrac large bag (don't know the model) that fits my 645 with 3 extra lenses, spot meter, cables, and cokin filter set. I use this for transporting to a site, than use a smaller bag that only holds 1 extra lens, the spot meter, and the filters. It's pretty convenient for walking around in town. Haven't tried hiking with it yet.

Hey Jim, which lenses do you use? I have an 80, 55, 145 soft focus and a 210 on its way with a Minolta iv f light meter with a 10 o/o view finder. Shortly, my wife and her sister and I are going over to Boxley, AR, google it. They will plein air paint and I'll photograph. That will be the ol' smoke test for the 645s.

I have a 45, 55, 80, and 210. I also have a 2X converter and a set of extension tubes. Most often, I find myself using the 45 and 80. I want to try some flower shots later this spring with the extension tubes and the 45 or 55. Haven't used the 2X converter yet but am looking forward to some architecture features on local buildings where a 420mm might prove useful.

I think you'll have fun with the 645. Just remember that it's not a 35 mm and you have to take your time and be deliberate for best results. With limited shots/toll, you need to make each one count - unlike digital where you can shoot 1000 frames to hope for 10 good ones.

I used to try to be very deliberate when I shot 35mm, so it's nothing new for me. It's what I'm planning on doing. I received my shutter release cable today for tripod work. I'm looking for a filter set, ND and polarizing. What do you use and how do you use them? Thanks

I've gone to the Cokin filters for both B&W and ND. Because of the different filter sizes on the lens, I find this to be the least expensive option.

Most reactions

Back