Troubleshooting Zenit ET

Ahoy there! I found my problem... And is not difficult to solve, at least if I can find a build/assembly diagram of this lens.

It comes to happen that the inner helicoidal screw (the one in the lens body) is not a one way screw... It has 12 threads, so that gives you 12 different ways of screwing the lens (each one differs by 30 degrees from the previous one).

When I assembled up the lens (why the heck did I disassembled it in first place? :p) of course, I had more possibilities of screwing it the wrong way, and so I did...

Another huge mistake of mine, I just thought that the mirror was out of focus, and I just "calibrated" it with the lens... the lens in a wrong position, so now I have a wrong lens and a wrong mirror position :p

Well, so I'm now trying to correct the lens to correct the mirror after that, and I don't have another M42 lens to recalibrate the mirror or a dSLR to test the lens out, so it will have to be with old school film... (here where I live costs around 3 bucks a 12 exp. film can) I'll see if the lens is correct, then I'll set up the mirror...

How did I re-screw the lens?

I found nothing useful about the Helios on the net, so I just looked up for a picture of the lens to use as a guide, like this one

http://kvolkov.com/img/lenses/helios-44m-4_2.jpg
(too big for inserting, just click if you want to see)

and it comes that the lens bessel has to be lined up with the filter tab when the lens is at the "infinity" mark...

Yeah, STRANGE resource, but that's all I have... And of course, Zenit is not well known specifically for its quality control and serializable work, so my lens could be screwed in any other position... But well, for now is the only shot I got...

If any of you own a Helios 44M-4 by Valdai manufactured near 89 (S/N begins with 89...) and can post a photo it will be appreciated.

It has to be THE SAME than mine, other 44M or 44K, or not Valdai may not be the same lens construction ;)

However, i just hope to give this a chance, at least I know now how to correct the focus issues, if it's farther I'll just unscrew it and screw the lens farther, and if the focus is closer I'll just screw the lens closer ;)

Strange thing though, this lens was focusing about 0,35m :D

Other funny thing I found is that you can remove the back 3 elements (2 groups, just unscrew the ring and let them fall) and now with an extension tube you have a tele lens (about 116 mm) and a lot of strange stuff like that are related here: Helios 44 Outer Limits

And well, now that I'm learning a lot about this stuff (you learn from your mistakes :D) I'm becoming some sort of Zenit tech guy weirdo... I now how to put the lens apart in 39 seconds with my eyes closed :p

And last but not least, owners of any Helios lens: If you disassemble it remember exactly how the heck did you put it apart!!! :p

Greetings, and sorry for the extension, it's just difficult for me to express myself in another language ;)

I have that exact lens, but I don't have another camera to take photos of it :( In about a week I can do it.

Interesting link - I have tried to use the lens for macro, and it seems like it would work well. I'll try to take a photo with it someday to see how it comes out.

Hi, I just came across this message. I have just bought a Zenit ET and the first film roll resulted all out of focus. The problem Fishplate had is exactly the same, mirror going slightly up after moving the film advance lever...

I can't really figure out the solution as one of the images in the post is now missing... Could somebody please give me some ideas or explanation on how to fix this? camera is almost pristine condition but this is making me crazy...

Photo example at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arkkasal/11934372373/

Any help? thanks and good evening!

Ariel

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back