Truer than women

Beautiful

Thanks!

You took a very nice picture and good choice on making it B&W.

Thanks!

Black and white for sure.

To me this is the kind of shot that grabs your attention. Then keeps the eye wandering through the nooks and crannies for other details. I believe there is a tree stand or other remnant amongst the upper limbs.

Thanks for posting

Thanks! What is a tree stand? Is that like a hunting stand?

Beautiful shot! I love the way you have used the light to create layers.

Thank you!

And I didn't get the name either, but thought it was me! because there seem to be plenty of things that have me thinking, I don't get it...

Good feedback thanks.

Yes an tree stand is a seat that straps to tree. Usually used by hunters and/or serious wildlife photographers. Typically they are mounted 15 to 20 ft. above the ground and provide a relatively stable platform.

I like the slight yellow in the quarter tones and the slight blue in the three-quarter tones here Sharon.

And thank you for mentioning from where your title came.
I googled for it and read Plath's poem.
Strong imagery there.

Yes an tree stand is a seat that straps to tree. Usually used by hunters and/or serious wildlife photographers. Typically they are mounted 15 to 20 ft. above the ground and provide a relatively stable platform.

If there was something there it wasn’t for hunting. This spot is very close to a heavily populated area and it’s a protected area. Middlesex Fells Reservation. Maybe a birder - supposedly lots of owls here but I’ve only ever seen one.

I like the slight yellow in the quarter tones and the slight blue in the three-quarter tones here Sharon.

Thanks and wish I understood b&w well enough to take credit for that! It’s definitely a weak area fir me technically.

And thank you for mentioning from where your title came.
I googled for it and read Plath's poem.
Strong imagery there.

Hope you liked it.

So nice, Sharon! A complicated scene to compose, for sure. I agree with @limr and @vintagesnaps about the slight crop along the bottom - just to create that stronger horizontal line, "grounding" the vertical lines of the trees, so to speak. And I like a bit of drama with contrast in scenes like these, so I'd be adding maybe 5-10% more, not enough to mask the bark details, just to make sure it has that extra punch of love.

@vintagesnaps: I see what you're saying about the leaning trees, but I think the original left-to-right composition is stronger. My two cents. :)

Great work, Sharon!

That's true Terri, cropping an image enough, especially on one side, can change the balance of the composition; with this one it makes the two trees more centered and I'm not sure that's the best way to go. It's about framing and vantage point.

There are as many reasons to shoot in black and white (monochrome these days) as there are people shooting it.

Regardless, of the reasons, as noted, there are just some scenes that are intuitively black and white. I believe you have capture this one very well.

And I like a bit of drama with contrast in scenes like these, so I'd be adding maybe 5-10% more, not enough to mask the bark details, just to make sure it has that extra punch of love.
LOL, and I like that it hasn't that extra punch!
The amount of contrast it has already I think goes well with it being a snow scene. More, and that feel might be lessened.

But of course if it were my image, on a different day, I might feel differently about that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back