Trying something new with black and white. Do you think it works?

achtungbarry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.achtungbarry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Basically what I've done is create a soft focus effect (which itself is not typical for a cityscape). I created a gaussian blurred layer in Photoshop and then reduced its opacity to give the soft focus effect often used in portraiture. I then boosted the contrast in curves to put back some of the contrast lost in the soft focus step.

I am trying to create a smoother transition between the tones while still retaining detail and enough sharpness.

Do you think it works? Any feedback and c and c welcome.

samuel-beckett-bridge-dublin-docklands-monochrome.jpg

I like the effect you've gone for here. I'm quite a big fan of soft focus to be honest.
Unfortunately you lose a lot of detail with the blur and you tend to create a colour cast if you're using a colour image.

With not having the original picture to play with I can only manage this:

samuel-beckett-bridge-dublin-docklands-monochrome-layered.jpg

I think it makes the soft focus effect a little more prominent. Unforuntately, as I said - I have lost a lot of detail.

To create the effect I used 2 duplicate layers and gaussian blurred both of them to 50.
One of them I blended using the hard light layer mode and the other used the soft light layer mode.

If you used the original image, fixed the inevitable colour cast and then converted mono I think the effect you would be left with is (what I think is) what you're going for.

If I'm chatting utter ********, please feel free to ignore me :lol:

[EDIT]As Vautrin pointed out the middle of the photo is blown out. A (really) quick burn (exposure at 12% - feathered selection) can reduce some of the overexposure.

samuel-beckett-bridge-dublin-docklands-monochrome-layered-burn.jpg

Last edited:
AchtungBarry:

I really like this photo / effect. It reminds me almost of a lomo photo, especially with the vignette.. One of hte nice things too is with the sky, it's not blown out, you've got a lot of nice clouds. Great work, good composition!

EckoZero:

Your edit is nice but you lose too much detail. Middle of photo is blown out too much. However I like the increased contrast -- something Barry might consider.

When an artist tries something and likes it then it is perfect and it does not matter what others think about it..
It's my opinion that CC's of fine art photos should kept to the composition or area of focus - otherwise and all else is only opinion.

Question was, does it work.

It works if you - the artist - like it.

Personally, I think it's superb without the darker vignette. Good job and worth of wall hanging.

Bridges in Europe are way cooler than bridges where I live.

Most reactions

Back