What's new

Trying to decide on what lens to assign to this camera....

IpseLux1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 17, 2026
Messages
41
Reaction score
21
Location
East TN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I find settling on a camera and lens combo, sometimes challenging. Add to that, that as many of you know, it's relatively easy to control what gets in a frame with a normal or telephoto lens, but wide angles are a challenge. Sure, the unusual perspective is out of the ordinary and attractive, but that wears out quickly, IMHO.
Giving this combo a chance. And plenty of shooting time so I can be proficient with it. D7100 and a fabled Tokina 11-16/2.8 ii. On paper seems like a perfect match. Sharp. Fast. And somewhat light and compact.
Did well today. Midday. Not the best light. Truth be told, some subjects, wether beautiful models, legendary far away places, or the like, don't take a bad photo. This Friendship Bell in East Tennessee is one such place.
Hope everyone is well. And shooting. Kind regards!
D71_3088.webp
 
So FOV on your crop sensor Nikon is, say, 18-24mm? That requires some practiced pre-visualization. Otherwise, that much width pulls in detritus you might tediously crop out that can still leave you with a "meh" image. As posted, I can see 2-3 images that might work. I find wides in that range require some leg work to frame a working shot minimal distortion. Your shot here is a bit of a mess, frankly. The leaning trees and other perspective control issues detract from impact. That said, the shadows and light on the overhead structures are killer--elements I'd have worked to death for the perspective your wide range lens can deliver. Simply put: right lens, great location, wrong framing. FYI: consider posting this and any others in the C&C forum for critique.
 
So FOV on your crop sensor Nikon is, say, 18-24mm? That requires some practiced pre-visualization. Otherwise, that much width pulls in detritus you might tediously crop out that can still leave you with a "meh" image. As posted, I can see 2-3 images that might work. I find wides in that range require some leg work to frame a working shot minimal distortion. Your shot here is a bit of a mess, frankly. The leaning trees and other perspective control issues detract from impact. That said, the shadows and light on the overhead structures are killer--elements I'd have worked to death for the perspective your wide range lens can deliver. Simply put: right lens, great location, wrong framing. FYI: consider posting this and any others in the C&C forum for critique.
A mess??? I have to laugh. Thanks for commenting though....
 
A mess??? I have to laugh. Thanks for commenting though....
Sorry but there's just too much going on in the shot as framed. YMMV, as always
 
So FOV on your crop sensor Nikon is, say, 18-24mm? That requires some practiced pre-visualization. Otherwise, that much width pulls in detritus you might tediously crop out that can still leave you with a "meh" image. As posted, I can see 2-3 images that might work. I find wides in that range require some leg work to frame a working shot minimal distortion. Your shot here is a bit of a mess, frankly. The leaning trees and other perspective control issues detract from impact. That said, the shadows and light on the overhead structures are killer--elements I'd have worked to death for the perspective your wide range lens can deliver. Simply put: right lens, great location, wrong framing. FYI: consider posting this and any others in the C&C forum for critique.
In a nice way, I think you need to decide what you want to photograph. As it stands your image is a snapshot, move closer, change your perspective, if the Bell is the main focus point, why are we seeing so much around the periphery? 🍻
 
Folks. Don't take the shot so seriously. It's just a snapshot.... I like it. Others did too.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom