What's new

trying to find a crop

PreludeX

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
681
Reaction score
2
Location
Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, NV
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
full:
gorge.jpg


CROPPED:
gorge2.jpg


i dont know which one i like if any of them at all
 
Capture-PreludeX.jpg


?

...But straightened first.
 
I think your problem isn't so much your crop asn your massively angled horizon. Fix that first and THEN try to crop it.
 
for some reason CS4 isnt letting me rotate the image... its starting to piss me off... that may be my biggest issue... thanks again for all the help.. TPF for life... what what... wait. what?
 
Ok, I needed a lunchbreak photoshop challenge, so I took the image and messed with it a bit.

What I did...

1. I did about a 3.8 degree rotation counter-clockwise. (I think it's still a hair off... maybe curvature of lense)
2. Cropped aggressively. I struggled with this because I liked the sky very much, but having the horizon right down the middle AND the river right down the middle was really bothering me.
3. Selected the ground and did +30 brightness, +50 contrast (I think the ground is actualy a bit underexposed- not surprising given sky is likely pretty bright)
4. Inversed selection (to sky) and did -10 brightness, +60 contrast. (might be extreme but I think it looked cool) :)
5. Did a sharpening pass... 70% .7 pixels (would vary with resolution)
6. Converted it to sRGB profile for web color consistency.

End result...

gorge.jpg


I think I might have framed this in portrait as well and tried to see how they compared. I would definitely have taken it in RAW so I could mess a bit with the sky vs. ground exposure needs, which also implies consideration should be given to HDR (which I dislike doing, but how is that all that different from what I just did?)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom