trying to get pictures of a black puppy

jl1975

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

My wife and I just brought home a cocker spaniel puppy on Friday. Needless to say, our kids are thrilled and we are trying to get some pictures of him. The challenge is that he is all black (and of course he doesn't sit still too long). Any C&C or tips for getting good pictures of him would be appreciated. Here are 3 that I have taken that have come out ok, but I think could be improved upon.

Thanks.

Attachments

• $_dsc3160.jpg
    $_dsc3160.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 131
  • $_dsc3161.jpg
    $_dsc3161.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 146
  • $_dsc3162.jpg
    $_dsc3162.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 143
You could try Martin Sikes' AutoHDR. http://www.autohdr.co.uk/
$8037891913_85dc28d565_c.jpg

It's freeware. I used the default for this, but decreased the contrast and increased the shadows one notch each. If you use it, go to the advanced settings and shut off the watermark and adjust max size if you want. Oh, and if you like it, send a few bucks to Martin, as you would for any freeware author you think deserves it.

Attachments

• $_dsc3161_HDR.JPG
    $_dsc3161_HDR.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Try bouncing your flash off the ceiling

Jake, I'll try that once I get a flash. For now I'm just using the built-in flash on my d3000. Thanks for the feedback.

Built in flash is really not going to do you much good. You can try putting a couple layers of tissue over it to soften it some

Oh my..What a precious little guy!! I have a black dog and I found putting her in really good light is key to getting a nice shot. Here is a picture I took of her in front of our sliding glass door the other day. Take your little guy outside or put him in front of a nice big window and you should be good to go.

8052499321_26ab10eccf_z.jpg

I have the same issue with my doggie too, and I have to admit that good light is key (as often in photography, right?). I've completely forgotten the idea to take pix of her when it's too cloudy or, even worse, dark.

Most reactions

Back