Trying to ID an old MF lens

ji87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A while ago I came into an old manual focus lens without any branding on it. It's a Minolta mount, 135mm f/2,8 with "Made in Japan" on the barrel and a stepless f stop range from 2.8 to 22. It's a pretty heft piece of glass, I'd just love to know who made it. I'd appreciate any help!

IMG_20190215_1317470.jpg IMG_20190215_1318456.jpg IMG_20190215_1319123.jpg

After thinking it seems odd to not have a manufacturer's name on it, I looked at the pictures and it came to me - wasn't Focal a Sears brand? or it was sold through Sears?

edit - Did a quick search, apparently it was K Mart. (I was close!? lol)

Focal was K-Mart's brand. When you say "stepless", so you mean it doesn't have click-stops at the common apertures? If so, you've got a de-clicked lens used for cinematography. That makes it worth some money.

Focal was K-Mart's brand. When you say "stepless", so you mean it doesn't have click-stops at the common apertures? If so, you've got a de-clicked lens used for cinematography. That makes it worth some money.

Yeah there aren't any click stops. Interesting, I've never really heard of that. Funny to maybe have a K Mart cinematography lens!

Yeah there aren't any click stops. Interesting, I've never really heard of that. Funny to maybe have a K Mart cinematography lens!

De-clicking lenses is quite common among videographers. Makes adjusting exposure while recording much more fluid. Lots of simple lenses get de-clicked, especially if they're easy to do DIY.

You don't have a $1,000,000 lens, but it's certainly worth more than $10. The Minolta mount makes it less valuable. If if had a current mount (Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc) that would raise the value. Of course, one could always adapt the lens if they're going to use a mirrorless camera.

Having "non-clicked" aperture rings is not unique among lenses made in the 60's and 70's. It was a way of saving money for budget-priced lenses.

If I remember correctly, there were a few Vivitar and Soligor branded lenses that lacked click stops.

My bet is somebody dismantled the rear of the lens in the past. Chances are the mechanism that causes the clicks is a little spring-loaded ball bearing. These little balls are easy to lose and this can happen easily enough if a person removes the aperture ring without being aware of this little ball. They fall out and if they drop to the floor, they're usually gone forever. So the lens rear gets put back together minus the ball and now the aperture ring has no clicks. Eh, it happens.

Most reactions

Back