trying to purchase lighting equipment...

First off, a great discussion from everybody involved! For the OP's latest questions which are "does anybody know about a deal that comes with ''2 stands, 2 umbrellas, & the umbrella brackets''? I'd like the umbrellas to be white transparent with the optional black covers to come with.... being of decent quality? OR should I just purchase ''2'' of everything I listed earlier..."

Answer: Yes, exactly such a deal exists, from MPEX.com and also from B&H Photo, I believe. Midwest Photo Exchange or MPEX.com, but I think the umbrella brackets,light stand, and umbrella model you list will come in under the price of the "two kit" packages sold through MPEX or B&H and Adorama.

An optical slave or slave trigger is a small device that can "see" a bright, rapidly-peaking light source and trigger the electronic flash unit it is connected to. Slaves take several forms: some have a hot-shoe type mount, others are plug-in style, one is called a peanut slave. Vivitar and Wein make a lot of slaves. Wein might be the best-known, oldest brand of quality slave. A shoe-mount slave fits on the foot of a speedlight,making it usable with any shoe-mount speedlight, but adding in another two connections to the setup overall. Small, peanut style slaves and other small slaves usually need a PC cord connection between slave and flash. Slaves work on an "optical" basis which allows anything fitted with a slave to become part of the group; Nikon's CLS works on a "wireless" system, which demands "smart" flash units dedicated to the Nikon CLS protocol system.

You do not need Cactus or other triggers to fire more than one speedlight. Pocket Wizard is the best, but also the most costly.

You know, Adorama's FlashPoint monolight, the base model, is $99, which makes it about the same cost as a 285HV flash + umbrella bracket. The advantage of a monolight is the modeling light, allowing you to visually see what the light is doing, and where the shadows fall. You need AC power or a battery/sine wave inverter to run a monolight outdoors, but I think it might be easier to learn with modeling lights vs speedlights.

I'm a big fan of pack-and-head studio lighting, but speedlights are battery-powered. There are plusses and minuses for both studio flash and speedlight lighting equipment.

This is very helpful Derrel, thank you!
And I will try working with monolights next, but first I think that I am going to go with the Vivitar 285hv that you had recommended earlier.
How do you feel about buying a used one, well.. a used flash in general, from amazon?

And to go along with it, I'm gonna grab the Wein Slave that Keith recommended:

..but I found it new on Amazon for 50...

Here is an Impact 2 light stands, 2 32" umbrellas and brackets kit: Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | | B&H Photo Video

I'd get 2, 45" and 2 60" umbrellas too.

I saw this earlier, and it looks like a good deal. :D But after doing lots of reading, I found that an umbrella around 45'' is what will suit my needs... so if I buy them seperately.. stand, bracket & umbrella..x2 - it's only 130.. not too bad.. so I think that's what I'll go with. Thanks for the help :thumbup:

Now, if you are willing to take the time it needs, you can probably make a living shooting flowers and nature. Can someone tell me how to make a living just reading books? :lol:

:lol:& once you figure this one out, tell me the secret and sign me up too:lol:

But yes, so now I am just curious how everyone feels on buying used flashes? and online at that... amazon most likely, but I won't be able to inspect it prior to buying it :er:

Thanks to everyone for being sooo helpful! :hug::

I wish more threads were like this one.
An OP wanting info, but yet, having done plenty of research into what they want.
Smart, to the point advice from various members, links, thoughts,....

I'm getting all warm and fuzzy

I'm in the exact same position as the OP and am considering the same options. Thanks for all the great info. Now i just need to figure out what to really go with! :(

I wish more threads were like this one.
An OP wanting info, but yet, having done plenty of research into what they want.
Smart, to the point advice from various members, links, thoughts,....

I'm getting all warm and fuzzy

:thumbup:

Now, if you are willing to take the time it needs, you can probably make a living shooting flowers and nature. Can someone tell me how to make a living just reading books? :lol:

:lol:& once you figure this one out, tell me the secret and sign me up too:lol:

But yes, so now I am just curious how everyone feels on buying used flashes? and online at that... amazon most likely, but I won't be able to inspect it prior to buying it :er:

OMG, do you mean you read? Can we meet? :D

Unfortunately I can't help you since I haven't found the magic either. Unless you are talking about making a living with flowers and nature shots... In that case, I could give you some tips on how to proceed. Just remember there is no such thing as instant fame and fortune :(

As far as buying used equipment, I don't see a problem if you understand the deal. Said deal being that you never have any idea what you're buying when you're buying used. You can only make educated guesses unless you really, truly know how to test the purchase before hand.

I only buy used vehicles although I am not a mechanic. I am however a smart enough person to know how to check a few things that are important before I buy. And I usually don't see the vehicles before I've bought them because I buy on ebay... Only had a problem once and it was resolved right there and then when I picked up the car.

Flash units do age. The more photos have been shot with a specific unit the less you have to still shoot before the "bulb" dies. For that reason I would buy from an amateur photog. A lot of amateur photog gear has barely been used while most pro photog gear has been well used.

Some people think that pros take better care of their gear than amateurs. I don't agree. The pros try and take care of their gear but they often are in a rush trying to get the darn shot and their gear does get abused while the amateur is looking at the cost of replacement and babies his gear.

A pro will go out to shoot in the rain because he has to while an amateur will wait until the weather is better. Etc, etc.

For a few different reasons I would buy gear from an amateur before a pro but... again, when you buy used, you don't know what you're buying so the price has to be right.

And be very aware of how auctions work. Ebay is great but it is an auction and people regularly go crazy with their bids. Know what the item is and what its value is before you bid and stick to whatever you've decided should be your top bid.

Cheers

OMG, do you mean you read? Can we meet? :D

Unfortunately I can't help you since I haven't found the magic either. Unless you are talking about making a living with flowers and nature shots... In that case, I could give you some tips on how to proceed. Just remember there is no such thing as instant fame and fortune :(

lol. of course I read. i'm a little bit a nerd:geek: lol
& you're in GA??
it's wamer there... I'm comin to you!
no really though... i would much rather read than watch tv.
it is a rare occassion for the tv to be on here.
Majority of tv, IMO, is content for the ego.. junk basically.
Reading is more of a food for thought, for me anyway.

I enjoy it. :thumbup:

FTR..
I was talking about reading...
but still interested in making a living with flowers & nature shots :mrgreen:
& not really interested in fame or fortune though... However, it would be nice if it eventually paid for.. the grub, bills and maybe some extra camera equipment ;) hehe... okay nm... nix that part about the noninterest in
fortune :mrgreen: lol.

Flash units do age. The more photos have been shot with a specific unit the less you have to still shoot before the "bulb" dies. For that reason I would buy from an amateur photog. A lot of amateur photog gear has barely been used while most pro photog gear has been well used................

Cheers

This is great advice... very nicely put.

Thanks again for everyone's useful knowledge!

It's much appreciated :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back