Two New Photos, C&C please?

Glycerol Sound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not related to each other but I've been out everyday shooting everything and these are my two picks of the moment. Would like some feedback please!

4695740223_b48cd59c08_b.jpg

l

As Sweet As...

4692495826_164c952943_b.jpg

Into the Open

On the second one, there is some post to bring out the green and I upped the contrast to make the darker parts darker... basically I wanted everything slightly saturated and really alive looking. A) The question I have here is how can I do this in the camera? I don't mind doing post-production, but I'd like to learn how to shoot better than use Photoshop/Aperture. Thank you!

C&C per req:

1. I have to admit, I'm not really getting a lot from #1 - what was your intent here? Assuming it was a product image, I would have preferred to see better lighting (it's a least a full stop under-exposed) and all of the front row of bottles. I think a position lower down and perhaps cropped just a little more tightly to eliminate the sign in the background would have been appropriate.

2. I understand your idea here, but it's not really working for me. The subject is too centred and the wires in the background are really distracting. This image is maybe 1/3 stop under-exposed as well.

With respect to your question, to improve saturation "in-camera" there are a few things. Shoot earlier or later in the day, use a polarizing filter, make sure your exposure is correct, and try shooting on a dark, cloudy or even rainy day.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. I have to admit, I'm not really getting a lot from #1 - what was your intent here? Assuming it was a product image, I would have preferred to see better lighting (it's a least a full stop under-exposed) and all of the front row of bottles. I think a position lower down and perhaps cropped just a little more tightly to eliminate the sign in the background would have been appropriate.

2. I understand your idea here, but it's not really working for me. The subject is too centred and the wires in the background are really distracting. This image is maybe 1/3 stop under-exposed as well.

With respect to your question, to improve saturation "in-camera" there are a few things. Shoot earlier or later in the day, use a polarizing filter, make sure your exposure is correct, and try shooting on a dark, cloudy or even rainy day.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
1. It wasnt really shot to communicate anything, but I walked by a honey vendor in an open air market I frequent and I loved the way the light from the shelves shone up through the honey to create that rich golden color. I also love lines and rows, and I felt that the rows going in a diagonal direction sort of gave the photo some motion. I wish I could have made the DOF wider but the lighting indoors was poor so I worked with what I had. I really appreciate the feedback though, please don't take it all the wrong way

2. I appreciate the critique here, this wasn't a posed shot or anything, I was just shooting and I was like "hmm, this has potential" and did some post to it. And I ended up really liking it I guess haha.

Thank you for answering my question too, I think a friend of mine has a polarizing filter that I can mess with, so I'll check it out.

Most reactions

Back