Two questions. One on lens and one on filter...

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just purchased a Nikkor 1:1.8 at ebay. I have a Nikon N50 and when I put the lens on the body the display tells me Err and then a small icon of a lens and CPU underneith. I have checked all possibilities and nothing seem to work. It's an old lens, about 8 years old som it doesn't have any autofocus, which according to Nikon's CS shouldn't be needed! I have tried to take pictures both manually and automatically with the lens but the Err is blinking all the time and stops me from being able to take a picture. Is it possible that my camera isn't supporting this lens? Why would it not be supporting one of the most used lenses available for Nikon?

And the second question is as follows. I also got a Close Up 2+ filter. How do I use that and in what situations is it useful?

Oh actually I have a third and fourth question now while I'm on it. The filter was pretty dirty. What's the best way of cleaning it? Do I use any kind of liquid?

And finally, I also got eight rolls of film. But they were not in the usual black or white tub, but totally uncovered. Is it still ok to put them in the freezer which is where I store my film? And, is there usually an expiration date on the film roll per se?

Thanks for your patience!

1. Not having your camera I can only guess. On my Dynax if you're going to use lenses not designed for the camera you have to select a custom function. Selecting the right one will tell the camera that it is ok to open the shutter when it would otherwise refuse to. Does your camera have a similar system? I'd have thought you'd find out more about that in the cameras manual.

2. Your close-up lens will allow the lens it is screwed into to focus 50cm away from an object. It makes no difference as to what the lens was originaly was designed to do. All will focus sharply at 50cm away from an object.
To work out what a close-up lens will allow you to do, divide 1000mm by the dioptre value. So a +1 lens will allow you to focus 100cm away and a +4 will focus at 25cm.

3. I'd use soap and warm water if it was really dirty then dry it with a lens cloth. If it wasn't too bad I'd just wipe it over with the same cloth.

4. I'm not sure. Don't you have any of those film tubs lying around? I have loads. :mrgreen: Remember to keep some next time. They come in handy for all sorts of things. :) I'm not sure about putting it in the freezer. I personally wouldn't. I'd be worried about ice building up around the felt which would mean the film gets wet as the ice melts and the is film pulled out by the camera. You'd be better off waiting for someone who knows what they're talking about to answer.

Thanks ferny.

I have been looking at the manual and I can't see that it excludes this type...

I also called Nikon before bidding on the lens and they told me that ANY lens would do it! Maybe they meant the newer ones...

And yes. From now on I will keep the tubs that the films come in! The reason I keep the films in the freezer is that they adviced me to do so at Adorama and we have a freezer that defrosts automatically so no ice on anything that's in there. I also know that I ought to take the film out about 24 hours before using it so there is no condensation on it, but it worries me if there is condensation on the part of the film that is sticking out from the cartridge...

1. after mounting the lens, you need to set the program mode to manual if that particular lens doesn't allow the camera to control fstop. (at least thats the way my 8008 is...

2. I've used soap and water also, be gentle

3. putting the film in the freezer without the canister will cause condensation on the film. Even when using canisters or wrapped film, you should allow it to warm to room temp before opening

Good Luck

Oooops... Ferny's correct about the close up lens... it's only 5am here and I missed that question!!!

re number the answers to the appropriate questions... lol

SWFLA1 said:
1. after mounting the lens, you need to set the program mode to manual if that particular lens doesn't allow the camera to control fstop. (at least thats the way my 8008 is...

2. I've used soap and water also, be gentle

3. putting the film in the freezer without the canister will cause condensation on the film. Even when using canisters or wrapped film, you should allow it to warm to room temp before opening

Good Luck

1. Done that and still no luck!

2. Thanks, I will do so!

3. I just put them in medicine bottles which I had quite a few of!

Thank you

I am sorry for bumping this thread, but I really need to know about the lens. I may as wel buy another one, but before I do so I want to know if there is any way of making the one I posted about, to work...

No problem. It works! But I need a manual meter which is a PITA! I guess it may turn out cheaper and easier to get another lens with AF...

Most reactions

Back