Two things that really, REALLY bug me about the K10

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love this thing and I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market right now(Except maybe a k20), but here are two flaws which exist in the K10 not because of technical limitations, but because someone in the lab either intentionally thought it should function this way, or they just plain goofed badly.

1. The Raw button toggle is unreliable and not fully functional. Let's say you've set your camera to Jpg and you want to start shooting Raw+Jpg, you hit the button and there you have it. Marvelous! What a great idea this little button is! You can shoot in this mode as much as you like now. BUT if you now hit the play(►) button to review your image, it disables the mode! That doesn't make any sense and it's a nuisance, because images are often reviewed after they are shot, so you have to reactivate the mode every time.

Furthermore, if you are already in Raw+Jpg via the menu, this button does nothing at all when pressed; It becomes useless. It SHOULD toggle to plain Jpg mode. That's logically what it should do.

There's no reason for this feature to be behaving the way it does. None.

2. You can not use the onboard flash in wireless mode if you do not have a modern lens attached to the body. This is a huge annoyance for me. I like to have my AF540 off of the camera body when I shoot, so I use the onboard flash as the optical trigger. BUT you cannot be in wireless mode if the camera can't use P-TTL, which is fine for some purposes, but what about us folks who like to put their off-body flash units in manual mode and don't need any metering?

I have two vintage Asahi lenses as well as an extension tube set and because of this flaw, I cannot use any of those things with off-camera lighting. All the onboard flash has to do it fire to trigger the off-camera flashguns, that's it; no metering required. So why the hell can't I do it?

I think I should ask Pentax themselves about this. I wonder what they'd say.

So I can do it by short-circuiting the contacts on the Kmount with tin foil?
That sounds scary; I wonder how dangerous that really is. But I really, really need this functionality. Egh.

So I can do it by short-circuiting the contacts on the Kmount with tin foil?
That sounds scary; I wonder how dangerous that really is. But I really, really need this functionality. Egh.

It's consumer electronics. If there is a contact on the out side 99.9% of the time you are guaranteed that they are TTL or CMOS type digital contacts. Shorting them will not harm your camera at all.

How many of you know that the 3.5mm headphone sockets people have actually briefly short the left channel to ground when you insert them?

Most reactions

Back