I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive never photographed babies before, and with good reason.
Im not very good with them. No idea what to do with them. They don't take direction well.
A coworkers girlfriend had a baby a few days ago and asked if I would take a few pictures for them.
I told them absolutely not. I don't work with babies. I don't want to work with babies.
I told them to find another patsy.

So there I was at their apartment today...taking some baby pictures for them, wondering what on earth to do with this little...thing...realizing I just don't have the patience for baby work.
not that I didn't realize going in that infant photography was a time consuming venture, but it sure affirmed my original belief that it is not the photography for me.
so...one bean bag chair and a chunk of black velvet fabric later...here's what I got.
In hindsight, I should have gone with just a little more DOF.
There was not enough beanbag to really give me room to do a better crop, and in the cramped apartment, I had nowhere to go for a decent background. Posing? um....no. Baby was not following any of my directions....
im 100% sure im only about 60% pleased with the processing, but im done messing with it for a bit.

so, without further adieu, I present to you, my first baby photos!

DSC_1378 by pixmedic, on Flickr

DSC_1387 by pixmedic, on Flickr

DSC_1385 by pixmedic, on Flickr

Ask if you could reshoot, say when she's old enough to vote? I feel your pain - I would NOT do well with that either.

I'd rather do a shoot for the dog.

Interesting choice for the background, black for a baby ?

The baby photos are good, but that dog photo is great! I think you found your niche!!!:biglaugh:

I'd rather do a shoot for the dog.

Interesting choice for the background, black for a baby ?

yea, not my finest moment in photography choices.
at the time, i thought the black background with the white outfit would make for a nice contrast, and I don't know that it doesn't, per se, but im wishing now that I had tried a few different colors.

The positions could have been better but I've seen worse (and sometimes by people with cameras who are doing baby photography); the first one particularly seems to make the baby look rather scrunchy and frowny which he/she may have been anyway.

Depending on the age I wouldn't use bean bags, they're just too squishy; although I know people clip and clamp them etc. but still... I'd do floor time or use a baby seat and baby blankets etc. Although you were right there so probably not a safety issue as much as someone putting a baby in one and not staying next to them.

As long as the family appreciates it and likes the pictures that's probably the main thing.

The dog's expression is the best! lol

The positions could have been better but I've seen worse (and sometimes by people with cameras who are doing baby photography); the first one particularly seems to make the baby look rather scrunchy and frowny which he/she may have been anyway.

Depending on the age I wouldn't use bean bags, they're just too squishy; although I know people clip and clamp them etc. but still... I'd do floor time or use a baby seat and baby blankets etc. Although you were right there so probably not a safety issue as much as someone putting a baby in one and not staying next to them.

As long as the family appreciates it and likes the pictures that's probably the main thing.

The dog's expression is the best! lol

well, while there is little worth defending in these photos, the scrunched up face is actually how the baby looked most of the time. I really got far fewer keepers than I would have liked, but since it was for a coworker, and mostly just for fun, I might see if I can go and give it one more try in the near future.
My consensus is that baby photos are definitely not my bag. I would rather shoot a wedding than an infant. I don't foresee myself taking any clients for this genre anytime soon....or ever. That isnt to say that it was not worth the experience of doing though, and much like people often say about weddings, I have certainly gained a new appreciation for photographers that do this sort of thing on a regular basis and turn out good work.

I hope you made the "goo goo - gaa gaa" special effect sounds to try and grab her attention too :)

I hope you made the "goo goo - gaa gaa" special effect sounds to try and grab her attention too :)

was I supposed to?

the baby slept most of the time.
she was asleep when she got there, and even slept through being moved around.
I was there for about 3.5 hours. baby woke up and got cranky a few times and took a bottle twice, which I had to stop and wait for. I have seen enough baby photography threads here to know kinda what to expect time wise for these shoots so I blocked off about 5 hours for it, just in case.

pixmedic said:
SNIP>I told them absolutely not. I don't work with babies. I don't want to work with babies.
I told them to find another patsy.

So there I was at their apartment today...taking some baby pictures for them, wondering what on earth to do with this little...thing...

Hah hah! That's fuuuuuny! Ain't it always that way...we say no, no way, no way in hell!...and the next thing you know...we're squinting through that viewfinder!

I really don't mind the scrunched up, new baby face at all...I think that stage is kind of cute, and a very important stage. Yeah, maybe a lighter throw would have been better, like say a white, plush microfiber blanket, like the ones in the Target collection.

A satirical article I wrote includes some time estimates form this kinda shoot.Derrel s Photography Blog

Set-Up and Posing Guidelines for Lifestyle Shoots:

"Lifestyle" fake flooring,baseboard, and wallpaper background set-up time: 36 minutes per set.

"Lifestyle" baby headband positioning: 11 minutes, avg..

"Lifestyle" diaper change: 17 minutes (includes two-minute talcum powder dry-down time.)

"Lifestyle" baby feeding: Breast: 45 minutes. Bottle: 37 minutes. Includes burping, spit-up, spit up rag replacement, and blouse change for parent.

"Lifestyle" newborn shoot, mid-session baby nap: 1 hr 45 minutes, minimum. Mid-session photographer's smart phone blogging & Instagram uploading session, 30 to 50 minutes.

"Lifestyle" baby-is working-on-a-poop waiting time: 2to 3 hours, on average.

"Lifestyle" baby hair arranging time: 31 to 42 minutes, average. Bald babies, 11 to 15 minutes. (see "Lifestyle" baby headband positioning guidelines, above.)

"Lifestyle" Anne Geddes crib session (no not the sleeping crib kind of session--but COPYING Anne Geddes ideas from books!!), 1hr. 10 minutes per session, on avg.

"Lifestyle" doorbell ringing: 1 to 4 minutes. Includes walk from curb to front porch or stoop; apartment walk-up times may extend as long as 12-15 minutes in high-rise buildings.

"Lifestyle" waiting period for sleeping baby to strike angelic, world-famous poses: 3 to 9 minutes, per photo.

All guidelines are minimum times. No possible professional posing and session secrets or 40-year industry insider tips are allowed to be used--EVER."

At least it's not just me. I thought I was the only one out there with this issue. You nailed down exactly how I felt! I photographed a child about 6 months old and got some decent shots, so I thought I could get some decent ones of a 2 month old. At 2 months old, they don't give you anything to work with! I feel your pain, Bro! I used black for a background also. Black is the new pastel.

Most reactions

Back