ugh..help with new monitor

MommyOf4Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I cannot figure this thing out..help!!
I turned down the brightness and contrast but everyone's pictures that I look at have major highlights blown out and I know it doesn't really look that way. Plus I cannot set the resolution to what my manual recommends and everthing is pixelated!! and photos I have looked at before now have major saturation problems on here blahhhhhhhh! HELP ME!

adobe gamma is good for calibration..... dont worry too much about the brightness/contrast on the monitor.... just put them to an avarage setting.

What resolution are you using?..... is it a widescreen monitor?

It is an LCD monitor. It is a 19" widescreen and it is set to the recommended resolution that my monitor's manual said "1440x900" or something like that. I did the Adobe Gamma, but I am not 100% sure I did it right, because that gray box you have to look at to adjust never blended to me LOL

LCDs are difficult to calibrate, and depending on the monitor, it just might not be good for color and contrast accuracy.

You can get a Colorvision Spyder, or a Monaco, and try one of those, which are made for calibrating LCDs. I'm sure that will help, but like I said, if it's not a top of line LCD, it may never give you good results.

That's why I still prefer CRTs, even if they are a BIG pain :p

lcd screens absolutely suck for photo editing.. Just adjust the best that you can, and you will eventually know what it will look like printed vs your new screen.

hyp0rbyte said:
lcd screens absolutely suck for photo editing.. Just adjust the best that you can, and you will eventually know what it will look like printed vs your new screen.
Not true. I do all my editing and viewing on an LCD, and while a CRT is a 'representation' of each pixel, only LCDs have true individual pixels, making much editing and especially sharpening easier. Some are awful, my other LCD is crap, but the one I usually use is a middle of the road 19", and it's no problem at all.

That being said, your monitor may not work at that resolution if your video card doesn't support it...and pictures only look good at the native resolution because of the "true pixel" thing. check out the manufacturer's specs on the card/chip.

I couldn't get my LCD to calibrate very well with Adobe Gamma. I purchased a Colorvision Spyder and it really made a difference. Colors match the prints a lot better now and the images look the same on different monitors.

Thanks guys. I got my resolution worked out properly so I am going to check into that Colorvision Spyder. I have never heard of this monitor before, but my husband said the guy recommended it to him and heck for the price he paid, it better work good! BUT..I think I am going to take it back and replace it, because there is a little hairline scratch on it and even though it is small it could get bigger and when I was looking at a photo I kept thinking there was a scratch on my son's face..so I am sure it will get annoying to me!

Most reactions

Back