Photos OK to edit
Some from around Ulstenvik in Norway:

Sony A7RII

Around Ulstenvik copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

2. Handheld pano of several shots

Flø Pano-2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. and another

Flø Pano copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

4. Around 11am and the sky was full of snow....

at ulstenvik-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

5. Yesterday evening

at ulstenvik copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

6. Approaching the island yesterday...

Sailing from ålesund-3 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I find all your images (except the last one) way too blue.
I just clicked the "auto-level" button in my editing program and within a second I got this - imho - already much better result.

vl.jpg

Thank you for your input. I would disagree with your evaluation. Your edit is too sterile and too white, and the yellow from the light is too cool for my taste. There certainly was a blueness to the light, and it was every bit as dark as I have portrayed it. I was struck by how much the light was evening like, closer to 'the blue hour' rather than just before 11am, the sun having risen just under 2 hours before the shot was made.

The reason I took the shot as I did was because I found the warmth of the electric light an interesting juxtaposition against the natural blue light from a sky full of snow. It snowed for 13 hours that day. I'm afraid your edit makes it too sterile with none of the reason for me taking the shot. I only wish it was a more traditional looking electric light.

That last shot in the series was taken the day before, before the snow came and stayed.

And yes, my monitor is calibrated - with Colormunki i1

Some more from Norway with the A7RII

Around Ulsteinvik copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

pink tractor in snow copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. On the way over on the boat, there was a public deck. Knowing we were travelling back in the hour before dawn, I was looking forward to going back up on the deck but the ferry they used didn't have a public deck, so this was shot through the windows which were covered in dried salt water which has affected the sharpness

Sailing to Alesund-2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

4. Shot through the front window of our coach, I have tried to eliminate the wire, but have found that it difficult to do so without it being obvious it's been done...

sunrise Driving to Alesund copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

5. Through the side window of the coach:

Driving to Alesund-2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Thank you for your input. I would disagree with your evaluation... (Snip)

I would disagree as well, the most fundamental principal of visual images is about contrasting elements within the picture frame. With the benches you could probably exaggerate the difference a little more and use light/dark to further contrast the areas.
Balanced colour does not mean neutral colour, you can balance cool areas against warm.
A nice series with interesting and well caught light. :)

The elements contrasting a little more:

mod-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back