Ultrafine Xtreme Film

OldManJim

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anybody used this film out of California? I just bought a sample pack of 6 rolls (3 100 speed, 3 400 speed) to try.

They claim very fine grain. The interesting part is that the price (with shipping) works out to about $4.25/roll - which is a lot cheaper than anything else I found. Expiration date is 2021, so it should be fairly fresh.

I'll post some images once I shoot it.

Never heard of it. Is it re-packaged Kodak or Fuji film?

Don't know who makes it. From their website: Ultrafine Xtreme Black & White Film - Traditional Black-and-White Films. "Photo Warehouse presents the ultimate B & W Film experience, as we continue to bring you new and exciting products in the traditional photo world. A superior fine grain film with wide latitude and extreme quality. For high quality black and white photography, Ultrafine Xtreme 100 is unparalleled. Sporting a very fine grain, with outstanding detail, and acute sharpness, allowing completely satisfactory Xtreme enlargements, and still retaining a plethora of refined detail. With a standard rating of ISO 100/21, Xtreme 100 has become a true favorite, and compares very favorably alongside other medium speed films. With tremendous exposure latitude beyond its ISO 100 range, Xtreme 100 is appropriate for most photographic subjects, under a variety of lighting conditions. Xtreme 400 is a high speed, medium contrast film allowing for exceptional utilization in action and sports photography and also an outstanding selection for general purpose photography. With a standard rating of ISO 400, it provides negatives exhibiting incredible sharpness and yet retains a fine grain under a myriad of lighting conditions. Xtreme 400 was designed to react vigorously to push processing and film speeds up to EI 1600/33 are easily achievable with X-tol type developers, maintaining nice shadow detail and perfectly scaled mid-tones, while still maintaining grain structure."

I have seen claims that it is NOT repackaged EFKE or Foma film, but don't know anything beyond that.

Im interested in seeing your results. I looked through the Flickr page and it seems nice.

Of the rolls I have processed for my customers here at the lab I work at..........not impressed. It's one of those "OK" films. Very similar to Kentmere. But the price is right.

Well, I received the shipment today...pretty fast, 2 days from CA. I'll be shooting and processing some of it this coming week (I hope).

Doesn't Freestyle carry that? Seems like it's 'student' film... intended to be budget friendly basic film to learn/practice with. Not that you can't get some good pictures with that, I've never tried it.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Acufine (chemistry) or Arista ('student' film/chemistry)... I have heard of 'Ultrafine Online'... just can't remember what/where.

edit - Shows up as Photo Warehouse's 'house' film, not sure what that means. Their own Ultrafine site does have class supply lists so I suppose I have seen it as 'student' quality film and chemistry. If it's a sample pack, might as well try it. I've tried expired or experimental films, just use them for that, to experiment (play around with a camera, etc.), not for when it's something important or that I wouldn't be easily able to reshoot. Have fun trying it out!

Despite the crappy weather, I got out and shot some Ultrafine Xtreme 400 today and processed it. I used Sprint (1:9) at 21C for 8 min 50 sec.

Attached is a portion of a shot that shows the film performance:
Ultrafine002b.jpg
Despite the dusty neg, you can see the grain. Still for cheap film, I don't think it did too bad. I posted a few more images in the Gallery for those who want to look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back