What's new

Umbrella (brolly) softboxes?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I will be purchasing a lighting setup soon and I was wondering what the significance of a umbrella softbox was. I understand the differences in lighting between softboxes and umbrellas, but I was wondering the difference between the softbox and the umbrella softbox. Is the only difference the catchlight shape? Or is the light more diffused because its being bounced as well as diffused?

Mark
 
There are two styles: the cheaper is a shoot-through umbrella with a back cover...this kind is sold as a brolly box by Paul C. Buff, for example. The second style is a reflecting umbrella with a black outside cover, and a front diffusion panel. The second type diffuses the light twice: first off the umbrella, and then again as that light goes through the front diffusing cover. This type is exemplified by the Lastolite Umbrella Box, or the Photek Softlighter. The quality of the light with the second type is quite good...excellent in fact.
 
Do you happen to have any photos with it? I know your equipment list is quite extensive. :wink:

Mark
 
It definately creates beautiful catchlights.

Mark
 
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread! Just placed two Lastolite Umbrella Boxes in my check-out cart at Adorama.

:cheers:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom