Umbrella softbox lighting.

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Picked up a pair of these based on a mention from @Derrel is this thread Softbox recommendations
Huge improvement from the smaller shoot thru I was using.

I know a face portrait would be a better evaluation, but I fell lucky to get my "model" to agree to a back shot. Even luckier she gave me the okay to post it, although she supervised the heavy crop :)

Softbox on stand 4 feet right of model, centered below the shoulder in height and toward the camera one foot. Set a 1/8

BG lit separately with a flagged speedlight at 1/128

Any C&C is valued.

70mm ISO 100 f/7.1 1/160
softbox-1.jpg

I think the quality of the light is interesting. I like the “light painting” style you seem to be going for.

It’s a bit underexposed for my tastes. I’d like the “light painted” skin at least a full stop hotter. You could use the shadows/blacks slider and contrast to bring your shadows darker after.

Just my opinion. I like your vision.

Thanks for the reply :)

I wonder if the full crop of this image, which goes to the hip, would have the underexposed look to you. The light is centered about mid torso, so there is falloff at her shoulders and head.

I think the crop image places too much emphasis on the arm pit. Looking just at the light, appears to have nice fall off. My umbrella set arrived and I will post up a few later.

Most reactions

Back