Under the bridge

Mendoza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
sgulchbridgehdr3upload.jpg

Looks like you had a harsh time of day for light....I think I might have taken this shot from other side of the creek...the trees on the upper right seem to me to be taking over the subject...causing my eye to bounce around and not focus on the subject which I'm pretty sure you intended to be the bridge and creek.....Seems cluttered...not sure what the pile of blue stuff is in the lower right but I'd consider cloning it out...Better angle would greater improve this lovely scene...IMHO.

I take photos like this all the time, for work. I work with bridge engineers. LOL

In all honesty, this one is a re-shoot.

Horrible lighting to begin with never helps. The scene is also quite busy and it's hard to focus on a particular subject. The only angle to help this here is to get closer, I'm afraid. Sacrifice some of the foreground because it is messy and distracting.

Tip from a seasoned outdoor photographer:

Don't even bother going out to grab water shots if it's partly to mostly sunny. I don't care what filters you run, what aperature you go down to ; you can't do anything if the sun is hitting the water. You end up stopping down so much, you black out everything else and slowing the shutter speed more just overexposes the water again. It's a cycle you can't escape from unfortunately...

Unless you can shoot 100% of the scene in shadow, wait for a cloudy or foggy day. Foggy days seem to be perfect for water stuff actually. Muted light, muted colour so you can expose for longer and nothing gets over blown.

Thanks for the critique. Two things I'll try: First, going back without full sun; and second, trying different angles.
The image seems cluttered because the area is cluttered. I mean, this is part of what you see in the opposite direction:
img2900upload.jpg

That's just the way that area is. I understand the technical criticism here, and it's valid. Too much stuff. But I have to say, I wouldn't cut too much of that stuff out, because it's natural.

The above criticism about the foreground may prove to be the best course of action, but I think that better lighting would go a long way toward making the composition work. As it stands, the patches of blown-out light in the foreground add greatly to the clutter and distracting-ness, as well as the background through the tunnel. If the light were better, it might just bring this shot together.

It's way too cluttered even if the conditions were right, IMO. I would zoom in and find a small section (small waterfall/rocks/stream etc) and go from there. :)

Most reactions

Back