Underwater Photography

|DeZaStR|

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with underwater photography and could perhaps lend me a few tips for better pictures? The wife and I are leaving for a 5 day carnival cruise to the Bahamas this weekend, and I have recently purchased an underwater camera housing for my Canon Powershot s45 digital camera. I would really like to get some nice shots (fish, coral, etc...), but have no experience with underwater photography.

Any advice?

From the very limited amount of underwater photography I have played around with...my biggest suggestion is to try to get a good underwater flash unit, and make sure it is mounted off to the side of the camera. If you use the flash that is on the camera, it tends to reflect off any bubbles in the water between you and your subject. Also, just be aware of bubbles in general...taking a shot as you exhale is likely to capture more bubbles as well.

Some of the housings come with a red filter to help with color correction underwater, but I've had mixed results using them. I think a good light source really is key to bring out natural colors.

Hope this helps a little, its not something I've had a lot of experience with.

Thanks for your reply. However, my camera does not support external flash units. I have read about what you mentioned as well, and am quite frankly rather concerned about it, for it is a major item that has the potential to ruin most of my shots.

If you are looking to take "scenic" underwater views, you shouldn't run into many problems, but if you are trying for smaller subjects, any alternate light source will help. Even carrying an underwater light to shine on the subjects can make a huge difference. The on-camera flash on most cameras just doesn't do enough underwater.

Regardless, I'm sure you will get some great shots! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back