Although I don't have much experience with HDR, I agree with Bynx's statement. It looks like you have some blown highlights in both pictures.
Blown highlights and filled in shadows. Thats why the scene is made for HDR shooting.
Yep. The scene has a dynamic range (the DR in HDR) that is higher (the H in HDR), or broader, than the image sensor's dynamic range capture capabilites.
Which makes multiple, bracketed exposures necessary to avoid the blown highlights and blocked shadows in the final image.
If I shot with bracketed photos, would I have gotten the same result from the waterfall? My assumption would be no? Also, I'm used to taking HDR's in this fashion. I start with the level exposure, and I shoot -1 EVand +1 EV. Should I have more bracketed photos than just 3? I never get the detailed results from an HDR that I'm looking for when I shoot, which is why I avoid them most of the time. I've heard a friend tell me to do +3, +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, -3 EV. Then I have had another buddy tell me that is too many photos to get the range I am looking for.
Thank you guys for commenting. I have always stayed in my comfort zone in photography for the past four years or so. My comfort zone is automotive and portraits. I have done a little long exposure, but not enough to be knowledgeable, and I'm also brand new to black and white photography.
I'm shooting A LOT of both so I can learn. So, You all will see much posted here... please let me know my flaws on them