Unedited photos for once

I like #1. Now properly edit it. Fix the white balance, very very slightly increase the saturation and the contrast and, finally, very slightly sharpen it. In fact, whatever setting you decide upon in each catagory... lessen it a step or 2.

Great snapshots.

bitter, i don't think i could ever match your level of cynicism even if i tried.:lmao: but anyway most of these really have potential to be awesome shots, if only you didnt shoot them on auto mode and if they were in focus.

oh and I forgot to mention these were taken about 5 or so months ago before I learned to use the other modes

I agree, for the most part, nice snapshots.

Too many here to crit (surprised someone who's been here for so long would still post so many picts to crit, but whatever...)

The first one and the last one were probably the best, but not by much. First one was cropped too tight, color is drab and the clarity could be better. Last one could be cropped tighter to remove the two outside boats, but they still need some adjustments/sharpening.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged, even when old turds like me rail on you for posting too much for crit. If you can get good shots without edits then you're doing ok.

I'm still relatively new with a DSLR and like you I don't like to edit my shots. I rarely do except for cropping and a border/watermark and it's real hard to get great shots that way.

I suppose if I took the time to learn how to do PP I'd have much better stuff, possibly SportsShooter worthy, but at the rate I take pictures I'd be stuck in PP for days after each event.

I'm guessing that the question is how to edit these so, in general, I would suggest...

Straighten horizons.
Apply a slight S curve.
Push the blue saturation a bit.
Crop to the subject without centering, taking out anyone who's got part of their head sliced off by the frame.
Keep in mind the rule of thirds and how the composition works with shapes and lines.
Apply some artificial fill light to #7.
Sharpen till you just barely get halos, then back off on it until you don't.

For future shooting: Keep in mind the editing that would need to be done, then compensate at the time of shooting if you can to avoid having to do more work with them later.

Remember that photography is not just about the camera. It also involves the processing whether chemical or digital, in a darkroom or lightroom, and the display whether on a print or on a monitor. That's been true forever, and will remain true. Don't get lost on the idea that a "good" photo has no processing - read Asel Adams' trilogy: The Camera, The Negative and The Print - Nothing's changed exept for the transition to digital.

Also, I'd suggest keeping in mind that anyone who thinks you've posted too many shots doesn't have to participate in helping - nobody's twisting their arms.

Last edited:
Also, I'd suggest keeping in mind that anyone who thinks you've posted too many shots doesn't have to participate in helping - nobody's twisting their arms.

Got that right. Nobody's twisting anyone's arms. That being said, I gave him my opinion anyway cuz I'm such a nice guy. :twak:

But if he was serious about getting help he would have to realize that most people aren't going to spend that much time critiquing 8 photos that are basically all the same with basically all the same issues.

Now... on to the real issue here: If you want to be confrontational about stupid things (that you literally supported by critiquing in general instead of doing each one (hypocrisy much?)) that's certainly your choice.

The bottom line is he asked for advice and he got it. Including the advice not to bore those that might try to help you by posting such redundancy which you so graciously condoned.

This advice has been brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department. :lol:

Got that right. Nobody's twisting anyone's arms. That being said, I gave him my opinion anyway cuz I'm such a nice guy. :twak:
We are all indebted to you.

But if he was serious about getting help he would have to realize that most people aren't going to spend that much time critiquing 8 photos that are basically all the same with basically all the same issues.
Maybe he doesn't need "most people", just a few helpful souls will do.

Now... on to the real issue here: If you want to be confrontational about stupid things (that you literally supported by critiquing in general instead of doing each one (hypocrisy much?)) that's certainly your choice.
I've noticed you have a penchant for being confrontational yourself (hypocrisy much?). Take a pill pops.

The bottom line is he asked for advice and he got it. Including the advice not to bore those that might try to help you by posting such redundancy which you so graciously condoned.
And he got some more advice to not worry about it just because some guy on the intertubez wants to pretend to be superior and somewhat demeaning.

This advice has been brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department. :lol:
Consisting of one man - that's some "department" you've got there.

Lighten up Francis.

I've never shot anything like that so I'm only guessing on how I would do it. My first thought is to shoot most everything a little wider. Too many cut off heads, arms and the like. Hopefully you have another opportunity soon. Does your school have competitions in the fall as well or is this a spring only sport? Sorry if that's a silly question, I live in Indiana, there aren't a lot of sailing clubs in our schools. :lol:

LoL. No need for popcorn.

I posted up some crit, someone else got all butt-hurt about it and threw out some RAWWWRRRR!!! so I LOLed at them. ;)

Nothing new here at TPF. Watching people get uppity over stupid **** is what makes it so much fun here. :lol:

I posted up some crit, someone else got all butt-hurt about it and threw out some RAWWWRRRR!!! so I LOLed at them. ;)
Oh yeah, I was all like RAWWWRRRR!!! :er:

Your ongoing drama queen reaction to it though...? Priceless. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back