Unknown Butterfly

Dave NY

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I only know 1 Butterfly, the Monarch. Can someone identify this guy for me, It didn't like me getting too close, about 15 feet was the limit.
7-19 Unknown Butterfly-1-Resized.jpg

Yes, a Mourning Cloak. If you look in the upper right corner of your picture, you might see a little square with a dot in the middle; if you click on it, it will identify what is in the picture if it can. I just noticed the ID box in the past month, not sure how long it's been there. Both Bing and Google have a version.

Yes, a Mourning Cloak. If you look in the upper right corner of your picture, you might see a little square with a dot in the middle; if you click on it, it will identify what is in the picture if it can. I just noticed the ID box in the past month, not sure how long it's been there. Both Bing and Google have a version.
I don't see the square, maybe because I posted it, I'll look for it in other posts.
It's a Mourning Cloaks butterfly (Nymphalis antiopa),also known as a Camberwell beauty this side of the pond.
Thanks for the identification, I learned something new today.

I've noticed that in the corner but didn't know what it was, and I haven't heard anything about it. Nice to know, thanks Jeff!

I'd love to see one here in England, there not a native species, but sometimes makes it to out southern parts if England, I'm still yet to spot a swallowtail, that inhabits here in the Eastern parts of the UK, I haven't photographed any butterflies for a while, but I do travel, even overseas to photograph them, not the easiest subjects to photograph, but a subject I thoroughly enjoy, I have many photos on my Website,your photo has made me want to get out and get some more photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220720-223119_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20220720-223119_Edge.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 20
I'd love to see one here in England, there not a native species, but sometimes makes it to out southern parts if England, I'm still yet to spot a swallowtail, that inhabits here in the Eastern parts of the UK, I haven't photographed any butterflies for a while, but I do travel, even overseas to photograph them, not the easiest subjects to photograph, but a subject I thoroughly enjoy, I have many photos on my Website,your photo has made me want to get out and get some more photos.
I have a neighbor that allows milkweed to grow just for Monarchs. They are in bloom now and I see Monarchs over there so I have to go over and try to get some pics of them. Will post them when I get some good ones. There is also another kind around I think they are called Swallowtails, I have always called them yellow Monarchs, they are about the same size as a Monarch but yellow instead of orange.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back